First Time Axolotl Owner

AxieOwner

Hi, I'm Thomas and as the title suggests I'm a first time axolotl owner.  Well, I will be sometime this week.  I'm not unfamiliar with fish and amphibians since my family has owned a variety over the years.  I became interested in them through mutual friends.  So I joined the forum to so I could be as prepared as possible.

Here are the lil guys I'll be getting:

00I0I_9pyK5bSpnKw_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_hOWidkGbY1x_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_v3jubI1ril_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you both.  Irene!  I'm watching your videos non stop!  lol

Some news.  I spoke with the owner and the Axies are 1 1/2 years old.  It's possible he's been under feeding them by only doing it every three days.  People on facebook telling me they they're too small for their ages at 6 and 7 inches.  Is this something they can bounce back from or has their growth been stunted at this point?

They are a little under fed with stunted gill growth. They should be eating every other day, every couple of days if they are putting on a lot of weight.  It's possible that the tank size is also too small. Axolotl breeders deal with a huge amount of babies and with them cannibalizing at a young age, finding enough space can be difficult. They do continue to grow throughout their lives, so it's possible they will bounce back and continue to grow a little after they start putting some weight on, but will likely still be a little stunted. Growth is very slow after 18 months. Mine was about 10" at a year and a half.  They're adorable :)) Good luck with your new wet pets!