Questions about Mystery Snails

VegaYayy

Hi i'm Vega I was wondering if mystery snails would eat driftwood and fish eggs, I am concerned about the driftwood in my tank because there is a large scratch and poop all over the driftwood when I saw some ramshorns in my tank. I want to try to breed pygmy corydoras but I'm not sure if snails will eat their eggs 😅

Edited by VegaYayy

In general, everything eats fish eggs, including humans in the form of caviar. There are some shrimp that reportedly don't eat fish eggs, but I'm not sure how much I'd trust them even then.  Mystery snails are more or less vacuum cleaners in a tank. They don't seem to pick and choose what to eat, they just move along with their mouth opening and sucking in anything they can suck in. If you watch a mystery snail in a tank, they just are constantly mouthing anything they come across. I'm not sure they'd specifically target fish eggs, but if they stumbled upon them and they fit in their mouths, they'd eat them. Mystery snails won't eat driftwood or healthy plants though. Bear in mind, driftwood will decompose over time and get smaller on its own.

On 12/22/2023 at 5:27 PM, gardenman said:

Mystery snails won't eat driftwood or healthy plants though.

With an exception of floating plants like duckweed and frogbit (especially roots). Wanted to mention it just in case. However, as they can only climb from the side glasses, if you float them in the middle of the tank with tubes or so, it may help

• Like 1