Live food breeding

Vanessa K

I'm trying to breed live food for my spotted Congo puffers: snails, scuds and black worms. I have 3 tanks, including the main tank, plus two large buckets. Right now the snails have their own tank, the black worms in theirs and the scuds are in one of the buckets (the second bucket is a recreation center for poor bladder snails that involuntarily become globetrotters when the seller couldn't differentiate between Sweden and Finland (the online shop is located in Germany, we can almost wave to each other, so it shouldn't be too hard of a task). The Finnish finally read the address and after some contemplation they decided to send them to me. The ammonia level in the bags made the bags look explosive. I figured the snails were dead but I put them in a bucket, gave them a less toxic environment - do snails hibernate when the temperature drops? They looked completely dead, wouldn't move for a couple of days and then ever so slowly, some of them started crawling to the surface. They had a sponge filter and some spirulina tablets in the bucket. 

I'm losing focus, sorry! My question is if I can keep the black worms and the scuds in the same tank? If I've understood it right, black worms want shallow, cold water and the scuds want warmer water, and I would prefer more water, to easier keep the water quality good enough. If they do go together, what temperature should make both of them reasonably happy? I can't get yet another tank, I'm already stretching my husband's patience.

Edited by Vanessa K

Hi, Jonny!

Thank you so much for for suggestion, that might work, but I think I'll stick to aquatic snails, since one or two might get way from the puffers and I don't wont the snails to drown. (And I do believe they're illegal to own nowadays, they're considered invasive in some countries.)