20 Long project

Cole

I’ve got a couple questions for this build. I’ve never used a sponge filter before I’m planning on going with the aquarium co op sponge filter but for a 20 long would the small size still be good or should I go with a medium? And as far as substrate what do you all like to use for your planted tanks? I’m thinking Eco complete but wondering what other options you all like? Thank you. 

Edited by Cole

3 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

We used a medium in our 20 long.  The small is, well, just to small for 20 (IMHO).  The small is better suited for 10 and smaller again (IMHO).

I appreciate it that’s what I thought but my mind was thinking but wanted to reassure haha

5 minutes ago, Ken Dyer said:

I typically run eco complete and a medium sponge in my 20s. The eco complete cause that is what I like and can get locally. 😉

Thank you @Ken Dyer. Medium it is. Yeah the eco complete seems to be the best of all worlds. Do you use a top cap on it or just the eco complete by itself?

Edited by Cole

I use a medium Co-op sponge for my 20-long, as well.

It's not my main tank, so I used bits and pieces for the substrate. I've got some brown and white aquarium gravel in there, along with crushed coral and a partial bag of Brightwell Aquatics FlorinBase Laterin Substrat F. Odd, I know. I had it left over from another project and the color worked, so I used it. I've got to say though that my stem plants are doing in the weird combo substrate. I guess that's what really counts. 😁

• Like 1

I am in the planning stage for a 20 long right now too! I am looking at where to put it (limited due to space and location/number of electrical outlets) and what to put it on. Aquarium stands are nice but I like extra shelving so am looking at heavy duty freestanding garage shelving and 1" pine tabletop material. I want to move my danio erythromicron and shrimp into that, and add some honey gouramis. When does that $1/gallon sale end? 😉

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I am in the planning stage for a 20 long right now too! I am looking at where to put it (limited due to space and location/number of electrical outlets) and what to put it on. Aquarium stands are nice but I like extra shelving so am looking at heavy duty freestanding garage shelving and 1" pine tabletop material. I want to move my danio erythromicron and shrimp into that, and add some honey gouramis. When does that $1/gallon sale end? 😉

From what I was told it ends on nov 29th. Sounds like a fun project also! I’m trying to figure out the route I want to go with for a stand also haha. I built one for my huge Exo terra terrarium that has wheels so I can move it around easy I’m thinking i may do the same for this tank. Personally everything should have wheels haha

• Like 1