Last Reach Out Before I Pour Bleach in The Tank

Mmiller2001

5 Weeks PraziPro, 3 weeks Paracleanse. Before that, 1 month Med Trio in QT. Just did my 30 percent water change and flashing has started. No flashing while I was dosing Paracleanse. Ph 7.3, GH 6-5, KH 3-4, All three test 0.  What am I fighting? Julli Cats suddenly developed red gills, dying every day. Seriously, when do you give up and try again?

Hi @Mmiller2001do you have a picture of the corys? Fighting disease can be very stressful as there are so many illnesses our fishy friends can come down with. It sounds like you have done the de-wormer rounds (both paracleanse and PraziPro are de-wormers) and the Ph & hardness seems fine. What temperature are you running the tank out?

Other than the red gills are you seeing anything else abnormal? When I am fighting an unknown illness I tend to lower the lights and do multiple small (~10%) water changes every few days. But not knowing what may be bothering your fish I would say that if the water changes are leading to flashing you may want to test your source water as flashing is typically a general sign of skin irritation (so smaller water changes may help if the source water is irritating them).

Just my thoughts and wishing you and your corys the best.

77° Fahrenheit

There are no external signs of any disease on all other fish. Cardinal Tetras, Neon Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, and the dying Julli's. Just suddenly, red gills on the Cory's and 2 dead, all others ( Cory's) seem to be seeking 0² at the surface. I have a Gourami flashing and the other gourami hiding at the bottom corners..

I run a 5 stage RO/DI system.

I mineralize the water to 200 TDS @6GH and 3KH.

Saltyshrimp GH/KH

I water change every week, or 2 weeks about 15 to 30%. I match temperature, pH and GH/KH, within .2pH and 1dHardness

I'm running 2 Eheim canisters. Classic 350 2215 and an Eheim Pro 600.

.Blackwater Biotope

I don't have pictures.

Thank you

Edited by Mmiller2001

Cory's surfacing for air every so often is a normal behavior, though if it was happening frequently I would assume it is stress or the need for an air stone.

I just use regular tap water so can't help you much with how you are blending water to give any feedback on that. How big of an aquarium do you have? That sounds like a gob of filtration. Even my largest tank (120G) runs only 2 large sponge filters and a Fluval 406 (mostly for circulation) so it certainly doesn't sound like a lack of filtration on your end.

4 hours ago, Ken Dyer said:

Cory's surfacing for air every so often is a normal behavior, though if it was happening frequently I would assume it is stress or the need for an air stone.

I just use regular tap water so can't help you much with how you are blending water to give any feedback on that. How big of an aquarium do you have? That sounds like a gob of filtration. Even my largest tank (120G) runs only 2 large sponge filters and a Fluval 406 (mostly for circulation) so it certainly doesn't sound like a lack of filtration on your end.

75gallon, I use poppy pipes to reduce currents.

Edited by Mmiller2001

Test your tap water. I agree with Carl. Sounds like chloramine to me. 

On 11/15/2020 at 6:44 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

5 Weeks PraziPro, 3 weeks Paracleanse. Before that, 1 month Med Trio in QT. Just did my 30 percent water change and flashing has started. No flashing while I was dosing Paracleanse. Ph 7.3, GH 6-5, KH 3-4, All three test 0.  What am I fighting? Julli Cats suddenly developed red gills, dying every day. Seriously, when do you give up and try again?

2 hours ago, GardenStateGoldfish said:

Test your tap water. I agree with Carl. Sounds like chloramine to me. 

I Seachem Prime all my water storage as a precaution prior to mineralization. But I believe you are both correct. Something within that water changed caused it, there hasn't been any flashing since that first time. Fingers crossed!!

Also, the red gill appeared before this water change. I was able to catch the most infected fish and am treating with Kanaplex in food form.

Here's a pic, what is weird is that a few are rapid breathing with less redness.

PXL_20201118_175301000.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001

If you live in the USA, after storms it is common for tap water to be extra bad because of excess nutrients being added to the water treatment and then water treatment plant adding a ton more additives to the water, sometimes you need to double or triple dose the prime to remove all the chloramine, worse of all chloramine doesn't have a smell like chlorine do you can't even smell the increase, nect water change try double dosing the the prime and see if that helps. There was a period this summer i had to double dose and avoid massive water changes lost my favorite goldfish, the rest pulled through back in June of this year and I learned my lesson hard.

9 minutes ago, GardenStateGoldfish said:

If you live in the USA, after storms it is common for tap water to be extra bad because of excess nutrients being added to the water treatment and then water treatment plant adding a ton more additives to the water, sometimes you need to double or triple dose the prime to remove all the chloramine, worse of all chloramine doesn't have a smell like chlorine do you can't even smell the increase, nect water change try double dosing the the prime and see if that helps. There was a period this summer i had to double dose and avoid massive water changes lost my favorite goldfish, the rest pulled through back in June of this year and I learned my lesson hard.

A member of my local club operates a drinking water plant so I asked him about chlorine spikes killing fish. He said plants don't send out more than 3.5 mg/L chlorine. Prime neutralizes 3.22 mg/L chloramine so I would have to do a near 100% water change and still might not have a lethal amount of residual chloramine.

16 minutes ago, Coronal Mass Ejection Carl said:

A member of my local club operates a drinking water plant so I asked him about chlorine spikes killing fish. He said plants don't send out more than 3.5 mg/L chlorine. Prime neutralizes 3.22 mg/L chloramine so I would have to do a near 100% water change and still might not have a lethal amount of residual chloramine.

Is that the same for after a storm even? I have a 300g and when I did a 150-180g water change it was bad after a few water changes I noticed they were only really stressed right after the water changes.