DIY tank stand advice please ,!

pauliewalrus

Hello! I have a 20 gal long tank that I am looking to set up , this is my first tank larger than 10 gallons, so it needs more support than anything else I’ve done. I’ve read a lot of really mixed opinions online about cinderblock stands, but that’s what I am going for at the moment. All the stands I see have 2-3 blocks stacked on top of each other. I’m wondering if this is necessary for support, or just height purposes. I like to sit on the ground, so I would like to just use one cinderblock on each side if that is safe. I’ll post a photo of what I am thinking about trying. Two cinderblock with 3 or 4 2x4s on top and then probably a piece of plywood on top of the 2x4s, nothing glued or fastened, just stacked. I will of course make sure it is level. I’d love to hear if it’s a fine idea to just use the single layer of blocks for a 20 long, and if anyone else has tried it! Thank you.

D87DF6C4-3676-4947-9A41-B4D6622FD7B5.jpeg

On 11/15/2023 at 6:32 PM, Pepere said:

You might change your mind though about it low….

A low tank is not nearly as pleasant to do maintenance on.  You will be bent over or kneeling when you work in the tank, cleaning, pruning, planting etc…

siphoning water out of the tank is much slower with less height difference, or a python water change system will be much slower as the pump will be working against gravity.

just some thoughts to consider..

I've got several tanks and I haven't put any near the ground.  I just think it will be inconvenient (in the various ways that you've described) and doesn't fit into my lazy aquarist approach. 🙂

I also see you have it on carpet.  Are you going to put something down around the tank and stand to protect that?  I've got hard floors and haven't had to deal with that, but I have seen large rubber mats with rims you might explore.  I manage to create a bit of a mess while trimming plants, cleaning the sides of the tanks and water changes.