white patch on both sides of head/face of CPD

pecosROB

I don't see any fuzz, the patch looks smooth and slightly raised. I've only noticed one of my fish with this, it appears almost symmetrical/same location on either side. She has not been acting funny or anything, I just noticed this growth and trying to determine if it's bacterial or fungal so I can treat accordingly with meds I already have. I'm probably going to treat the entire tank since I have no clue if any other CPDs or my clown killifish have it. I also have a few tiny fry growing out in an attached breeder box.

unheated/cold tank
temp 71.8
pH 6.4
gH 4-5
kH 1-2
TDS 140

PXL_20231112_193954008.jpg

I'm not quite sure on the ratio, honestly. I need to try and take a video and pause or something and figure out exactly how many male/female I have. Recently I put in a small plastic container with plenty of moss in it to try and collect some eggs. Looks like I need to add some more moss in there and figure out exactly how many males I got. I was thinking about moving them to another tank to spawn but I have some mystery fry I'm raising from this tank in a breeder box attached to it so I know one of the fish species at least is capable of spawning in there.

Also need to do a water change today, didn't get it done over the weekend.

If you recently put in a plastic container I would be inclined to inspect the container for and sharp or rough edges she could get scraped on. Make sure no matter how fast, hard or what direct you rub your fingers nothing is rough. 

Here is a video of mine spawning when I did not have enough moss in the tank. Notice how she gets shoved to the gravel while both are wiggling. That’s what causes the lost scales. 

No you are fine. As long as you are not boy heavy 2-1 female. 

• Like 1

thanks man, I see what you're saying! I used a container that Petco uses for Bettas and maybe I'll switch it to a small plastic tuppaware container thing that has a smooth, curved "edge" on it and less likely to injure the fish.

missing scales makes more sense - didn't look fungal and no other fish had any markings. at least I know they're trying to breed!

• Like 1