Plant health check-up

TwoFace99

Hello, I’m trying to understand the condition of my banana plant as the plant has its two largest leaves curling up into tamales after the banana plant has just sprouted them a couple of days ago. Not only that, but it has two new stems that are growing fast (the smaller one that is closed up and another stem on the backside). 
Should I try to cut off those two particular stems, or should I leave the banana plant alone?
I’m a bit on edge as my Dwarf Chain Swords haven’t experienced any real growth since I got them, and a while ago, I cut off the emersed leaves as much as I can. Please help. 

image.jpg

Not a plant expert but it appears to be a nutrient deficiency of some sort.

Questions that will help diagnose:

1. What are water params?

2. What is the substrate used?

3. Any ferts, c02 or root tabs

4. what light/ lighting schedule is used?

here’s a bit of info that may prove helpful as well

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/plant-nutrient-deficiencies

On 11/9/2023 at 1:56 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Not a plant expert but it appears to be a nutrient deficiency of some sort.

Questions that will help diagnose:

1. What are water params?

2. What is the substrate used?

3. Any ferts, c02 or root tabs

4. what light/ lighting schedule is used?

here’s a bit of info that may prove helpful as well

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/plant-nutrient-deficiencies

My water parameters are 0ppm across the board, but 5ppm nitrates. Also, my ph: 7.8. 

I’m using Controsoil (Extra Fine) that is, at least, 4 inches deep where the banana plant is and the majority of the tank. 

I’m not using root tabs, but I am using Easy Green liquid fertilizer. This is my second week of using the product. Every Monday and Friday I put 5 squirts and about 4 drops of the fertilizer into the tank around 12pm.

The lighting I use is the Aquarium Co-op light at 50% brightness, on a daily wi-if timer of 10 hours per day (1pm-6pm, 10pm-2am). I have had this same lighting schedule since October 14, and with the plants added since October 16. 

There’s no water flow disturbing the banana plant as it is placed on the opposite side of the tank from the filter (I have read that banana plant prefer low/no water flow). Which is why I believed it has bloomed so effectively as opposed to my other banana plant that I placed where the water flow is a lot more noticeable (I moved the other banana plant to the opposite side as well, last Thursday, to hopefully help its growth). 

Edit:

I read the article you provided, and my issue might be not using enough fertilizer as the banana plant has been growing rapidly, my Java Fern has experienced propagation on nearly every single Java fern leaf/rhizome in the form of new plantlets/small leaves, my Amazon Swords are growing new leaves, and my Anubias are growing new roots. 
However, I significantly prune my Dwarf Chain Swords as the majority of their leaves were from their emersed state, so I thought the change would somewhat balance out. I guess I was wrong. 
Additionally, I’m confused if I should snip off those stems as they may not recover or leave them alone for a couple of weeks and just add more dosage of my Easy Green

Edited by TwoFace99

I would leave the stems alone until the plant is thriving. Root tab supplementation probably would help in this case as I believe banana plants are primarily root feeders that store nutrients in the “bananas”. Could be wrong on that but that’s how I’ve understood them. With this being said, couldn’t hurt anyway to attempt to add nutrients to correct the deficiency via the substrate. It would make sure your plant is getting them and with the easy green (water column dosing) as well as the lighting schedule you have would attack quite a few of the listed ways for optimum growth. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/banana-plant-an-unusual-aquarium-plant-for-beginners

also make sure your tubers or (bananas) aren’t suffocating 

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 5:27 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

I would leave the stems alone until the plant is thriving. Root tab supplementation probably would help in this case as I believe banana plants are primarily root feeders that store nutrients in the “bananas”. Could be wrong on that but that’s how I’ve understood them. With this being said, couldn’t hurt anyway to attempt to add nutrients to correct the deficiency via the substrate. It would make sure your plant is getting them and with the easy green (water column dosing) as well as the lighting schedule you have would attack quite a few of the listed ways for optimum growth. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/banana-plant-an-unusual-aquarium-plant-for-beginners

also make sure your tubers or (bananas) aren’t suffocating 

Hello, I know this response is quite late as I got my first inhabitants ( 2 Marbled Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams (both groups juveniles, and 3 Amano Shrimp Monday 🥹) and they seem to be doing great so far. Ate all my algae and everything I’m feeding them so far. 
As for the Banana plant, Aquarium Co-Op support told me the curling of the leaves showcases a lack of calcium deficiency, so they suggested Equilibrium, crushed corals, or wonder shells. I went ahead and chose Equilibrium. 
They told me to hold off on trimming the leaves until I witness new, healthy growth, which could be a few weeks to a few months until change, as trimming too many too soon could slow the re-growing and photosynthesis process. 

On 11/17/2023 at 8:39 PM, Galabar said:

I would suggest getting the API KH & GH test kit.  This will help you dial in the Equilibrium (and Alkaline Buffer, if you need it).

Thank you. Actually, I went ahead and ordered Wonder Shells instead, but I will be looking into that KH/GH kit. 

• Like 1