Sludge Removers

Cincala

Has anyone ever used Seachem Pristine for sludge removal? 
I am getting black sludge looking stuff on my aquarium plants. It’s not black beard algae ( I don’t think) it wipes off. It’s gunk! 

I am using a Tidal 55 which doesn’t seem to be working good enough along with a large sponge filter and a large pre filter sponge on a 36 gallon bow front aquarium. Nothing seems to work on this stuff. Actually, I think it’s causing it!
I just purchased a Tidal 75 and I hope it is not too powerful. My gravel is river rock pebbles. 

I want to remove the large filter sponge and the pre filter sponge and see if it helps. I’m really tired of cutting my plants down to remove this stuff! 

All help is appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Sounds like Cyanobacteria, could be wrong but that was my first thought when you said sludge that wipes off, I had that, treated it with Maracyn…could be something different in your case just thought I would mention it… I haven’t used pristine yet but I swear by seachem so I’m also following to see what people say…

On 11/6/2023 at 5:25 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Sounds like Cyanobacteria, could be wrong but that was my first thought when you said sludge that wipes off, I had that, treated it with Maracyn…could be something different in your case just thought I would mention it… I haven’t used pristine yet but I swear by seachem so I’m also following to see what people say…

I don’t think its Cyanobacteria, this is black or very dark brown, it looks more like mud would look. I looked up Cyanobacteria and all I  see is green or red in color.

I hooked up my new Tidal 75, hope it helps, it has much better circulation than the 55. 
I’m going to try the Seachem Pristine. I am also a big fan of Seachem products!

Thanks for your advice, you are the only one that answered, I guess no one in this group has ever tried Pristine. Thanks again!!

• Like 1