Brine Shrimp Feeding

campingdude84

One time a day. That way they catch all of them. Remember these are living creatures so any sucked into the filter or uneaten die and release lots of ammonia. 

When you first start feeding them check your ammonia and nitrite the next day to make sure your tank is ready for that bioload. 

Congratulations 🎉 

• Like 2

It’s an established tank. I’ve had it for multiple years. Just the first time with live feeding.

I timed it, and all of the shrimp were gone in a matter of 3 minutes. The tank erupted.

If I am feeding them shrimp, I assume I must supplement their diet with plant based stuff that is included in flakes?

On 11/2/2023 at 6:22 PM, Guppysnail said:

One time a day. That way they catch all of them. Remember these are living creatures so any sucked into the filter or uneaten die and release lots of ammonia. 

When you first start feeding them check your ammonia and nitrite the next day to make sure your tank is ready for that bioload. 

Congratulations 🎉 

• Like 1

depends on what fish I’m feeding and if I’m actively conditioning to breed. My nano fish can get bbs one day and granules the next. I sometimes feed bbs 2 days in a row and granules in day 3. 

If I’m conditioning for breeding the bbs are an extra on top of normal diet. 

Just dont feed bbs exclusively all the time. 

Yes “erupted” is a great term for what happens when live bbs hits the water. 

• Like 1

Under normal circumstances, I think the majority of the brine shrimp that you put in the tank will end up in fish bellies, not the filter. So (again, under normal circumstances) I don’t think an ammonia spike will be likely for most people, unless you’re massively over-feeding them.

The brand I get up here in Canada hatches better after 48 hours than 24 (36 to 40 hours would probably be ideal but that doesn’t work for my schedule). So I hatch BBS and feed to all my tanks every other day. In the past, I have run two hatchers on alternate days and fed daily, I only see a benefit for that when I have fry that are just getting onto BBS.

For myself, I find the biggest risk of over-feeding is not fouling the water, but inviting Hydro. This occurs when I feed relatively large amounts of BBS to a tank that has few and/or slower eaters.

You mentioned bottom feeders. I have a tank with cories only (and some cherry shrimp), and I feed relatively small amounts of BBS to that tank on those alt days, and it doesn’t replace the pellets or sticks they normally get. It’s sort of in addition to, and not instead of. That’s because the cories, being on the bottom all the time, only encounter BBS in two dimensions, unlike upper and middle fish that can encounter them in three dimensions, and therefore encounter them much more often. In theory anyways. I suspect that in reality BBS that die after two or three hours of being in the water settle to the bottom, where the cories pick them up anyways.

Edited by TOtrees
  • Like 1