I want to collect native plants next year. It’s in the 30’s up here in northern Wisconsin. What do I need to keep in mind when collecting plants for my aquarium? Do I need to treat them with anything so I don’t possibly transmit undesirable animals with my plants?

I frequently collect native plants here in North Carolina. The main thing to watch for on plants are snails and dragonfly larva if you don't want either.

But I have all kinds of weird stuff including tadpoles, stick insects and even fish show up in the plant collecting bucket.

I collect duckweed and hornwort from a river in N WI in Summer, but I worry about viral hemorrhagic disease from the river getting in my aquaria. I wash the plants with the hose and drain them several times. The fish eat them quickly. I'm trying to grow them in a bowl in an East window for the Winter.

Just now, Daniel

I frequently collect native plants here in North Carolina. The main thing to watch for on plants are snails and dragonfly larva if you don't want either.

But I have all kinds of weird stuff including tadpoles, stick insects and even fish show up in the plant collecting bucket.

So I done some native hunting on my own wondering if you can help me to identify any of these ty in advance

DCFEC37C-CBF3-489C-87DA-38C728B73001.jpg

D61D5E5F-9FBA-4CF4-ABD3-E824A0EEACEE.jpg

0CF0D65B-20D8-46A9-8123-F71ED88F7400.jpg

102F1A33-6437-49CF-9461-4F32656257AC.jpg

29B732E2-A238-4B06-9960-71BCF12FD333.jpg

5FFB6A13-61B8-4D91-8151-BAA1C7909F9C.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

So I done some native hunting on my own wondering if you can help me to identify any of these ty in advance

This is the one that could be aquatic. Do you have a picture of where it came from? What county and state also.

Just now, Daniel
3 minutes ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

This is the one that could be aquatic. Do you have a picture of where it came from? What county and state also.

Wayne county Richmond Indiana 47374 and came from local pond everything I grabbed aside from one was growing literally under water

Put the one I asked about back in some water while I am working on it. Don't worry about the grasses, or any of the ones below, they are not aquatic.

16 minutes ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

0CF0D65B-20D8-46A9-8123-F71ED88F7400.jpg

102F1A33-6437-49CF-9461-4F32656257AC.jpg

5FFB6A13-61B8-4D91-8151-BAA1C7909F9C.jpg

This one could be Alternanthera, which might grow submerged, not sure yet.

Alteranthera.png.ebac31d18de2b4251872e50b8beee27b.png

And yeah, just because it grows underwater, doesn't mean it will grow in your aquarium. Did the are look like the water was high?

5 minutes ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

Thought this look kinda like a Val plant of sorts

99D817E8-36A7-4022-9E05-53D8735E074A.jpg

See how that plant is 'jointed'. That means it is a grass. The old botany saying is "Sedges have edges, and rushes are round, and grasses have joints (when cops aren't around)". So not a Val.

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel

This one could be Alternanthera, which might grow submerged, not sure yet.

Alteranthera.png.ebac31d18de2b4251872e50b8beee27b.png

And yeah, just because it grows underwater, doesn't mean it will grow in your aquarium. Did the are look like the water was high?

5 minutes ago, Wisnasky-tank said:

Thought this look kinda like a Val plant of sorts

99D817E8-36A7-4022-9E05-53D8735E074A.jpg

See how that plant is 'jointed'. That means it is a grass. The old botany saying is "Sedges have edges, and rushes are round, and grasses have joints (when cops aren't around)". So not a Val.

wow see I’d never new that and yes the one you said is AR was completely under water growing what about the stuff that looks like frogbit

Just now, Wisnasky-tank said:

wow see I’d never new that and yes the one you said is AR was completely under water growing what about the stuff that looks like frogbit

I don't know what the 'frogbit' looking plant is yet. Doesn't look like a keeper though.

Just now, Daniel
Just now, Wisnasky-tank said:

Ok so to conclude. let the frogbit looking one float and plant the ARs the rest is waste that won’t or can’t grow?

You got it!

Do you have Fb sir I wanted to give you Recognition in my Fb group about helping me on my adventure. Lord knows I wouldn’t of been able to decipher the real aquatic plants from. Ransoms that so happens to be growing by water