Why am I such a failure at moss?

StephenP2003

I have the opposite effect: my java moss grows no matter where I put it. I have literally a vase used for tall flowers filled just with java moss and dechlorinated tap water. Ocassionally I squirt easy green in and it is under a CFL lamp. It thrives. I think it is the water! Mine is fairly hard (GH) but low in KH. Ph 7.5. No copper at all.

On the other hand my java fern barely survives no matter in which tank.

2 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

Doesn't matter the tank, or how it's attached. It dies and/or disappears. I thought a Christmas moss ball would be easy mode, but nope. Too much light? Not enough? Something is eating it? 

IMG_20200722_201623.jpg

Could be too much light.  Was wondering do you have a higher ph & gh\kh?  I believe that moss likes softer water with a lower ph, but I am no plant expert.  🤔

I have moss in tanks from my tap, which is very hard, tanks cut with RO 50/50, high light, low light, natural light, high flow, low flow, no flow, it thrives in all of them. It doesn't do well when it's compact though. I have to thin it out quite a bit or it will start dying off. Maybe try just spreading strands. I see you have at least a couple small green pieces still. Pick those off and let it grow, toss the brown stuff. A tiny bit is all you need to end up with more than you know what to do with. 

2 hours ago, DaveSamsell said:

Could be too much light.  Was wondering do you have a higher ph & gh\kh?  I believe that moss likes softer water with a lower ph, but I am no plant expert.  🤔

My PH out of the tap is 8.0 but settles at 7.5-ish, a tad lower in tanks with wood. Also out of the tap my GH is zero and KH 7 degrees. I use additives to raise my GH to 6-ish. In my livebearer tanks, I use Aquavitro Mineralize and wonder shell to really raise the GH. 

3 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

My PH out of the tap is 8.0 but settles at 7.5-ish, a tad lower in tanks with wood. Also out of the tap my GH is zero and KH 7 degrees. I use additives to raise my GH to 6-ish. In my livebearer tanks, I use Aquavitro Mineralize and wonder shell to really raise the GH. 

Yep, Wonder-shell  is a great product for sure.  I use it in all my aquariums to bump up the GH.  Also, I use baking soda for my low KH issues.  Sounds like your PH is close.  I would imagine you fertilize the aquariums as needed.  Wish I could be more help.  😐

I also have issues with attaching moss to hardscape. But when a loose piece falls off of the hardscape and tangles itself at the back of my tank at the base of plants, I'll find huge wads of it months later. I'm thinking they don't like too much light. Now I'm forever pulling out java moss from my 75 gallon.