Nitrate Levels?!

Leo2o915

My immediate wc number is 50. I prefer it to be as low as I can get it but my tap has high nitrate so it’s a struggle for me. However my goal is breeding and raising babies. I have tons of plants but I’m not an aquascaper. If my plants don’t look their best or die I’m unconcerned. 
This video is good  

• Like 1

As I've said before on this forum, I don't concern myself with nitrates unless it's in hatching/grow out tanks.  I don't test for it, don't have any way to test anymore.  I pay attention to my fish and they will let me know if something is wrong.  Fry and hatch tanks get well over 100% water changes daily so I don't worry about it there.  This is an unpopular opinion and I'm not saying it's right, but some fish keepers believe nitrates are an irrelevant thing.  I don't necessarily believe this to be true, I Believe very high nitrates (over 80 ppm) stress fish but as long as you do regular maintenance and water changes at fairly regular intervals, you will have no issues.  All of this is of course dependent on you having reasonable stocking and feeding levels.  Grow out gets tons of water change because of overstocking and hatch does as well because water quality is most important at this stage

I like to keep under 10ppm, I run a low tech tank with inert (PFS) substrate.  If I dose 15 pumps of easy green (150g) with a weekly 50% water change and a second dose 3-4 days later it’s between 5-10 on water change day.  I also periodically use root tabs.

I don’t know the specific biomechanics behind the nitrate uptake at different levels, but my plants grow well and I figure if there is available nitrate then it’s getting readily absorbed (this could be an incorrect assumption)

• Like 1

When I first started in the hobby I tested every tank every week. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Religiously. It was part of the weekly maintenance ritual and I enjoyed that aspect. Test all the tanks, log it, track it, and then do all the maintenance. 

Once I started seeing the same thing all the time testing gradually fell off. I do the exact same thing every single week, and I also know that I can skip a week of maintenance and everything is just fine. I don’t need to test to prove what I already know. My ecosystems are balanced and if the stocking is the same, feeding is the same, and maintenance is the same I know I’m right where I need to be. Consistency is key for me. 

I try to keep it under 40 ppm (according to ACO strip test).  I'm able to accomplish that with dosing of Easy Green twice a week in my planted tanks.  However, I still do bi-weekly 50% water changes on those.  I do 50% water changes weekly on the non-planted tank (it would be planted if silver dollars and Buenos Aires tetras didn't eat everything 🙂 ).