Canister filters yes or no

Archie

I already have one in my 75 gallon it’s the fluval also just heard from other people that they are not good with no reason for it. My guppies keep dieing off and the other tanks I have are all kept the same way just don’t have the canister filter so I thought maybe it could be why. Just wondering?

53 minutes ago, Archie said:

Are canister filters good or bad in planted tanks ?

Tell us more about your tank. 

I highly, highly recommend watching the first part of this video, where Cory talks about them. They're not for everybody. Chances are, a HOB might be the right fit for your tank.

• Like 1

Some people don't like canisters because in most situations, they don't do anything that a HOB doesn't for a much higher cost. I personally like canisters, mostly because I just do to be honest. I like the fact that the tank sits close to the wall I guess. Just don't forget to clean them regularly. It can be easy to forget, and the decreased flow can harder to notice depending on how it is setup.

Personally I don’t like canister filters. I have one running in a 40 breeder and another I tried to get running but always had issues with in my 75. I like the one I have running but I’m a little afraid to maintenance it because it’s working now and I don’t want to have water all over my floor again. 

Cost and potential for painful failure just feels too high for what to me ends up just being aesthetics. I’m also not reliant on super heavy filtration cos plants help out, so that probably shifts my opinion a bit - and I only have experience with relatively cheap canister filters. 

Thank you. I have had my canister going for 2 years but I also have two HOBs and 3 sponge filters due to my water not being right most of the time so I keep adding different filters. I may have too much filtration, I don’t know. I also have a lot of plants. My guppies have never done well in this tank. I have other aquariums that only have a Hob and 1 sponge  they are always good. With platies and mollies in them. I have one bare bottom with a mix of fish 10 gallon for grow out all is well with it. I think I will take off the canister and slow down the filtration and see if it help. 

I think the argument for using canisters really starts with the larger tanks or with high bio load. For smaller tanks say 55 and less most canisters are expensive overkill. All my tanks are planted the only tank with a canister on it is my 120 Discus tank all the rest use hobs & sponge filtration.

I doubt your canister filter has anything to do with your guppies not doing well.

I have one in a 55g and the guppies are multiplying.

Guppies like slightly harder water and higher pH. My water is around 180 hardness with a pH around 8.0

I have almost every category of filter but a HOB (though I have had them and UG in my past). My canister is doing it's thing, but I am not a fan. I have my largest tank in my kitchen, and needed a way to keep as much hardware hidden as possible, and push the tank as close to the wall as possible. a canister fit the situation, and lives on a shelf under the tank. But it takes more maintenance than I like, and even after freshly serviced does not do as good of a job clearing the mulm out of the water as I had hoped--in fact it almost seems to just stir it up. I am about to fill the entire thing with floss and polishing pads, lol (j/k). I have wondered what would happen if I ran no filtration on this tank and only an air stone--not kidding. I may give it a shot.

My favorite filter to this day is the matten filter in my guppy fry auto sorter, and my second favorite is the type that comes built in to the back of a tank

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 1