Goldfish head up flowing

Eileen

I have four 6 inch gold fish, three betta fish share a 55 gallon tank with a canister filter and sponge filter for two years now. Recently I was frustrated with the nitrate level being high no matter how often I changed water. The nitrate keeps around at least 80ppm if not higher.  So I did a 75% water change. A week later my fish started to act weird. One developed black patches on it, another one today is hanging head up and looking like forgot to breathehttps://photos.app.goo.gl/nUKP2rJmr9PWxf6E8. What should I do? Leave them alone? Add salt, meds? 

16 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I have four 6 inch gold fish, three betta fish share a 55 gallon tank with a canister filter and sponge filter for two years now. Recently I was frustrated with the nitrate level being high no matter how often I changed water. The nitrate keeps around at least 80ppm if not higher.  So I did a 75% water change. A week later my fish started to act weird. One developed black patches on it, another one today is hanging head up and looking like forgot to breathehttps://photos.app.goo.gl/nUKP2rJmr9PWxf6E8. What should I do? Leave them alone? Add salt, meds? 

The reason why your nitrate levels are so high is because your aquarium is severley overstocked, either stick with the goldfish or the bettas.

the reason why your goldfish is swimming head up is because of a few reasons, a crash in ph or high nitrate levels, I beleive its because of his swimmers bladder. what is your ph and nitrate levels at? 

if it is because of his swimmers bladder do the following

turn temp up to 78F

DO NOT feed for the next three days

Use a small amount of aquarium salt

Thanks for the advise. The head straight up goldfish  doesn't look good, scales are raised a little. My tank's nitrate is in between 30ppm to 40ppm, ph 7.4. tempure is 75F. I put the salt in and going out to get a bigger heater. 

If you know anyone who has floating plants, you could throw a bunch of them in there. They might get eaten, but they would help. It might even be worth it to have another tank or bucket where you can grow them, and just keep dropping the inevitable excess into your Goldfish tank.

Thanks for the advise. The head straight up goldfish  doesn't look good, scales are raised a little. My tank's nitrate is in between 30ppm to 40ppm, ph 7.4. tempure is 75F. I put the salt in and going out to get a bigger heater.