75 Gallon tank with black rim that has a lip

rdflash0788

I recently bought my son's very slightly used Fluval FX4 cannister filter but am having some issues with the "rim connector" that holds the hoses. I have a lip on my tank (where the glass lids rest) and that is interferring with the installation of the clamps/rim connectors. I was thinking about carefully taking a file or dremel tool to it to grind away a spot just wide enough for them to set right. Should that pose any issues or do I need to think of another solution? 

Thanks in advance for any input/advice! 

On 9/22/2023 at 4:46 PM, Odd Duck said:

Lots of people do this mod to make them fit right.  Shouldn’t cause any issues, just make sure the plastic filings don’t stay in the tank, of course.  😉 

Gotcha', I thought it might be OK but wanted to check and make sure. Thanks for the info! Now to devise a way to keep the filings out of the tank. 🙂

• Like 1

If you have any styrofoam sheets you can run a bit of tape on the top of the sheet across the rim on the ends of the sheet and let it float on the surface and put a damp paper towel on top of that.  Damp will hold the filings better than dry.

Or float bubble wrap the same way. Tape is only to keep it right under the rim. Dropping the water level a bit helps a lot.  Good luck on filings patrol!

• Like 1