Bubbles collecting on water surface

Jkamerin

Hello all,

I am new here and this is my first ever forum post. Looking for information on these bubbles here, they started hanging around a day or so after installing our sponge filter. It’s been a week and there has been no change with the bubbles. This is a 29g tank, currently only stocked with plants and 6 guppies. 

Previous water test have come back okay, with a slightly elevated water hardness. 

I’ve read about elevated protein levels in the water that can cause this, and to do frequent water changes until resolved. Is this true?

TYIA for any recommendations/help.

1C5EEA28-61A6-47B4-A798-7B0ED411D204.jpeg

Edited by Jkamerin

9 minutes ago, Jkamerin said:

Hello all,

I am new here and this is my first ever forum post. Looking for information on these bubbles here, they started hanging around a day or so after installing our sponge filter. It’s been a week and there has been no change with the bubbles. This is a 29g tank, currently only stocked with plants and 6 guppies. 

Previous water test have come back okay, with a slightly elevated water hardness. 

I’ve read about elevated protein levels in the water that can cause this, and to do frequent water changes until resolved. Is this true?

TYIA for any recommendations/help.

1C5EEA28-61A6-47B4-A798-7B0ED411D204.jpeg

I wouldn't worry, these bubbels form when you add colder water to your aquarium, so like after a waterchange or a top off. 

It may be something to do with the water source, currently the city water that is supplied from the lake near town is melting algae from seasonal changes. So there is a spike of nitrites currently. (biofiltering my water before changes) -This might not be your issue though.

Its also possible that its just a new tank syndrome of some sort, you could try flourish or microbe lift to balance it if it is caused by some bacterial bloom. 

You can try laying a well rinsed/then dried towel, or paper towel on top for a second to absorb some of it. It might help.

• Thanks 1