How many is too many to add at once?

Eden

Hi.  I'm planning on going to aquarium co-op after work today to surprise my 4th graders Monday.  I have a 40 breeder classroom tank, and wanted to add to it.  I asked this question on one of my other posts, but it didn't match the topic so I'm afraid that it'll get missed before I go to the store. 

I have a list of fish I want to add to the tank and was wondering how many would be too many to ask for.  I already figured out what I can or can't add with the fish I already keep and now it's time to solidify my list.  

Wish list:

1 or 2 more fancy plecos 6 inches or under.  Or another long fin bristlenose. 

I have stirbai corys x6, but wondered if I could add the albino ones or maybe pandas. If not I might just add 3 more to their group and call it good. 

Kuli loaches

4 more rasboras

4 more rummy nose

And 4 more cardinals

Thinking of a fun snail too.

I had been wanting to get hatchet fish for the top, but was told I shouldn't because they jump too much.  I do have a heavy duty lid so I'm up for another opinion or two.  

I have live bacteria to add to my tank with my new fish, and I just got new plants! I'm waiting for them to arrive!!!

Help me solidify my list so I can help  Robert tomorrow. He's asked to have a list ready.  I was there for probably 45 minutes the last 2x before because I had so many questions.  I felt really bad but it was my first big tank and didn't want to mess up.  

Thanks for your help. 

- Eden.  

6 minutes ago, Eden said:

Hi.  I'm planning on going to aquarium co-op after work today to surprise my 4th graders Monday.  I have a 40 breeder classroom tank, and wanted to add to it.  I asked this question on one of my other posts, but it didn't match the topic so I'm afraid that it'll get missed before I go to the store. 

I have a list of fish I want to add to the tank and was wondering how many would be too many to ask for.  I already figured out what I can or can't add with the fish I already keep and now it's time to solidify my list.  

Wish list:

1 or 2 more fancy plecos 6 inches or under.  Or another long fin bristlenose. 

I have stirbai corys x6, but wondered if I could add the albino ones or maybe pandas. If not I might just add 3 more to their group and call it good. 

Kuli loaches

4 more rasboras

4 more rummy nose

And 4 more cardinals

Thinking of a fun snail too.

I had been wanting to get hatchet fish for the top, but was told I shouldn't because they jump too much.  I do have a heavy duty lid so I'm up for another opinion or two.  

I have live bacteria to add to my tank with my new fish, and I just got new plants! I'm waiting for them to arrive!!!

Help me solidify my list so I can help  Robert tomorrow. He's asked to have a list ready.  I was there for probably 45 minutes the last 2x before because I had so many questions.  I felt really bad but it was my first big tank and didn't want to mess up.  

Thanks for your help. 

- Eden.  

in a 40 breeder I would add just ONE bristle nose pleco.

As far as the rummynose and cardinals I would try maybe 6rummy nose 6cardinal tetras

I think you could get

-Pleco

-Rummynose or Cardinal Tetras x6

-Corycats

-Snail

-Kuhli Loaches x2

• Like 1

@Eden If your tank is cycled, I would feel comfortable adding 2 - 4 fish every few days so as to give the beneficial bacteria time to bring their population in line with each increased level of nitrogen the new fish will cause.

If you tank is not cycled yet, then it is too soon to add any fish. You can tell if you tank is cycled by monitoring ammonia, nitrites, etc. with something like an API test kit.

I too thought I wanted hatchet fish for the top because you got have something for the top, right? Well, in the end I didn't care for the hatchet fish. They just didn't have much personality. Eventually I put in Endler guppies and they were the perfect top fish for me.

How long has your tank been set up?

And be careful with adding the maximum number of fish that could possibly be squeezed into one aquarium. With fish, less is more. A few healthy fish bring far more enjoyment than a large number of sick fish.

It would be more exciting for your 4th graders to learn about the wonders of aquatic biology than the sad reality of competition and death.

My teacher's aquarium help set me on the path that has led to a lifetime of enjoying tropical fish. I cherish the memories of a nicely planted tank with frisky colorful guppies cavorting around and the pretty little school of neon tetras.

• Like 2

@Daniel

I've had my tank for over 6 months now and has balanced out. 

I have:

1 betta

2 tiger plecos

1 long fin bristlenose

(I asked the works at aquarium co-op first before adding my favorite fish, the plecos, to my tank and they gave the ok. I just wanted one or two more but don't know how many is too many, but I was told one more would be fine.)

6 rummy nose

12 cardinals

6 stirbai corys

8 rasboras

And 4 snails

This tank had been amazing so far and I just wanted to know how many was too many. It still looks slightly empty. Does this help?  I love the list that was given @James Black. Thank you! 

- Eden

Ps. This picture is an older picture.  It's now planted, has 4 caves, and is getting more plants very soon. Maybe today.  I'm super excited.  🙂

20200912_200713.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

@Eden If your tank is cycled, I would feel comfortable adding 2 - 4 fish every few days so as to give the beneficial bacteria time to bring their population in line with each increased level of nitrogen the new fish will cause.

If you tank is not cycled yet, then it is too soon to add any fish. You can tell if you tank is cycled by monitoring ammonia, nitrites, etc. with something like an API test kit.

I too thought I want hatchet fish for the top because you got have something for the top, right? Well, in the end I didn't care for the hatchet fish. They just didn't have much personality. Eventually I put in Endler guppies and they were the perfect top fish for me.

How long has your tank been set up?

And be careful with adding the maximum number of fish that could possibly be squeezed into one aquarium. With fish, less is more. A few healthy fish bring far more enjoyment than a large number of sick fish.

It would be more exciting for your 4th graders to learn about the wonders of aquatic biology than the sad reality of competition and death.

My teacher's aquarium help set me on the path that has led to a lifetime of enjoying tropical fish. I cherish the memories of a nicely planted tank with frisky colorful guppies cavorting around and the pretty little school of neon tetras.

Agreed. Less is more when stocking fish. Especially in a setting like yours.  Less fish means less water changes, and teaching a bunch of 4th grades is a lot of work already. 

• Like 1

Just my personal opinion but it sounds like you have a very happy tank. Given how well everything is going I wouldn't add anything else.

It reminds me of the law of diminishing returns. At first each new addition means a lot. But after a certain point, you could add a large number of new fish and it wouldn't make the aquarium significantly more enjoyable.

Hey, I am with you on this. My typically mode is to dig in and go fast! But sitting here at a keyboard 2500 miles away giving advice to someone else, it is easy for me to say 'go slow'. I am not sure I would listen to me if the roles were reversed. But going slow it probably the right thing to do.

• Like 2

@Daniel

I totally agree with you! But.... I can't put an angel with a betta.  They would not accept each other 😂🤣 I was thinking my new fancy Pleco would do that.  And maybe some kuli loaches.  (Probably spelled that wrong. Sorry. )

@Ken Burke

I don't know if I'll be able to contain myself when I get to the store, but I'll make my list shorter on purpose. 😊

Thank you all so much. 

- Eden.  

• Haha 2