How does one move Amano shrimp from one tank to another?

KittenFishMom

I have 10 Amano shrimp in a planted QT tank that I want to move. I can hardly see them. I haven't any idea how to catch them without hurting them or having the leap out of the net and be off to the races across the room. The shrimp food I have on have is powdered. So there is no way to make a pile of it in a net.  

All ideas are welcome.

KittenFishMom

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 1

Personally, I'd go in with a 3-4" net, or with my hands, and gently push or drive the shrimps out of hiding to an area where they're easier to net. I find they are generally curious, and if there is an open net in front of them, they're quite willing to wander in on their own. Rotate to close the net against the glass, slide up, and go from there. 

Or, keep a dedicated net at the ready, and be opportunistic, eg be ready to net them if/when they come out. 

Or, change to a heavier tablet food for a while. I suspect if you put in large algae wafers, it would draw them out. Especially if it's after dark or near to normal lights out time. 

I've found them to be really robust to moves, so don't be afraid to plop and drop in whatever tank they're going to after you've caught them. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 5:12 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@Tazalanche This is a great idea. I wasn't thinking, but it would also help me catch the hill stream loach that keeps slipping away when I approach with a net.  I didn't think shrimp would go into a bottle trap. but I guess they probably would.

Oh yeah. They're curious critters anyway, but adding a little bit of their food just increases the odds.

When I'm catching ramshorn snails for my daughter to feed her puffer, I have to check hourly to remove any cardinal tetras from the big tank, or cherry shrimp in the smaller tanks, that were too curious.

• Like 1

Under blue lights, dark room, they should be a bit easier to notice and active. Usually they have the spots they hang out at and it's just about getting the net on them. Have a specimen container and such ready for them to go into once you catch them.

Essentially, they swim backwards to escape, but they dart and they are extremely quick. Go slow, let them guide themselves into the net and they should go in there for you pretty easily.

I use a 5" net. Hand over it, or trap them inside the net when you're moving them out of water, they absolutely will jump a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Tazalanche

On 9/8/2023 at 6:16 PM, Tazalanche said:

When I'm catching ramshorn snails for my daughter to feed her puffer, I have to check hourly to remove any cardinal tetras from the big tank, or cherry shrimp in the smaller tanks, that were too curious.

When I am catching snails, I use a large cooking ladle with a bunch of small holes. I hook the end of the handle over the edge of the tank and put in one large Algae wafer. I try to keep an eye on it or the cories eat the wafer, and the snails go home. If the snail cover the wafer first, you can get a ladle covered inside and out with ramshorns.