Rolling Aquarium Stand

Streetwise

I am going to get my dream aquarium soon, a 50 gallon lowboy, where I can have several pieces of tall Mopani wood, and lots of emergent plant growth.

I would like to invest in a stand that I can move around and level. I know it will take me a few tries to find the right location in a room. This would be on a concrete basement floor.

I would appreciate any advice!

image.png.768e085d44884016f56a66d703314723.png

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 4

I would probably build a stand out of wood or look for a used 48x24 stand online. As for mobility I'd keep it (empty) on the stand on furniture sliders until you found the right location. For leveling on uneven concrete, I recently acquired some Airshims for this purpose. You can pump them up and slide shims under the stand once you get level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'd also build it out of good quality 2x4 (possibly some 4x4) for a basement, red cedar in other rooms, and you can use a semi-transparent minwax stain if you like. I've used the black composite wood shims on all my stands. They're strong, and easy to break off the part that remains sticking out once level. 

• Thanks 1

I also built a rack in the back of my basement based on @Cory's video, got distracted and forgot to level in one direction and only remembered after filling two of the tanks on the bottom shelf. And transferring fish. Damn.  It was off 1/4 to 1/3" front to back but I was able to use a car jack to raise the planks just enough to slide the shims under the cinderblock and fix it. 

• Like 1

I would still like a rolling, or sliding solution, so I can walk around the entire perimeter of one tank, but why let the perfect be the enemy of the good? This rack is already level!

I measured the existing rack which I have co-opted for tubs, and it is exactly 24 inches front to back, and super-strong. Based on the metal mesh, a 50 gallon lowboy would only be supported on the front and back rails. If I chose to put a tank here, should I add an intermediate layer? Bonus points for still lighting that top tub.

IMG_1902.JPG.e9432f33176c044759e6c936d38b64e9.JPG