substrate for Corydoras

Armis

Corydoras can be kept on any aquarium substrate. The requirement of sand/soft substrate is a bit of a myth. I've personally kept them on inert gravel and my current trio of pygmies live on a mixed substrate of Fluval Stratum and two different inert gravels. Their barbels have been fine, but I always make sure that their food is accessible on the surface of the substrate.

• Like 1

I had this same question. I have an 8 gallon bowl (Bioorb) Tank, I love it, but cannot have regular aquarium substrate because of the type of filter it uses. It's fully submerged. I was thinking of a small school of nano corys, but had no idea how they would get to their food. I have the porous rock for bacteria growth underneath smooth lake/ocean rocks to keep my betta's fins safe. I just bought live plants to add to it. Would they still do well in my tank or would I need to do something else? 

Thanks

-Eden

• 4 weeks later...

I have not seen substrate cause issues with my Corys and I use Medium Sized Gravel with Ecocomplete in a pot in one tank and Very Fine Gravel in the other tank.  If you are really concerned you could always add a bit of substrate from the display tank to the QT tank for better observation (I did this for my substrate).20200702-DSC_3988.jpg.6ca336f2c1eb8c33aa333a89142de30b.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ken said:

My Pandas have been on Black Diamond Blasting sand for several months now, their barbels are fine. They are healthy and active and keep the substrate clean of anything they deem eatable.

Did you use the fine or medium blasting sand? I bought some of the small and it seems so fine, debating whether or not to put it to use.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2020 at 11:18 PM, ange said:

Corydoras can be kept on any aquarium substrate. The requirement of sand/soft substrate is a bit of a myth. I've personally kept them on inert gravel and my current trio of pygmies live on a mixed substrate of Fluval Stratum and two different inert gravels. Their barbels have been fine, but I always make sure that their food is accessible on the surface of the substrate.

I agree with @ange as long as the substrate isn't freshly broken glass bottles, your Corydoras will be just fine. Good food and clean water are the best priorities.

• Thanks 1

I've kept corydoras on every substrate that you could use in an aquarium, eco complete, different sands, gravel, and bare bottom tanks. I have never had any problems with them losing their barbels or anything. I always make sure that there is plenty of food available so that they don't have to go digging through the substrate to find a morsel, although they do a lot anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marc said:

Did you use the fine or medium blasting sand? I bought some of the small and it seems so fine, debating whether or not to put it to use.

I bought the medium. Just for the looks. Rinse he heck out of it, its dirty and makes a surface film. I used a paper towel kind of draped across the top to soak up the film.

• Like 1