Crazy high TDS?? So confused 😣

FishyMike

Hello all,

I’m in the process of cycling my first tank. I think im back on track after a rocky start to say the least and now I’m confused again. 😣 

As of tonight my water parameters are 

Ammo- 0.25
PH- 7.5

Nitrite 0.25

Nitrate 5 ppm

gh 7.0

kh 6.0

Fairly certain I’m in my next phase of my cycle 👍🏽! But my confusion  is why my TDS readings are thru the roof 😑 530ppm (I just got the meter in today) my tap water is 45ppm. I have naturally low minerals out of my tap so I used sechem alkaline and acid buffer but my gh and kh and ph are looking good! Do I have to perform a water change to get the tds down? From the research I’ve done everyone says 500 is insanely high 😣

The buffers you are adding may very well be adding to your TDS number. Is there a specific reason for trying to achieve a specific gh/kh?

I tend to take my tap water as it is, but can understand you may be looking towards stock with more demanding requirements 

If I'm not mistaken, those additives are made up of salts.  Salts dissolve, and increase your TDS.  The only effective way to remove them for home aquariums is through waters changes.

Just a quick tip, focus on cycling your tank biologically before you mess with the chemicals.  Going back and forth with acids and bases (alkaline buffers) is like playing mad chemist and usually results in less than favorable outcomes.

What type of fish are you planning on keeping?  Plants in the plan??

• Like 2

The only reason I added the buffers was because I was dealing with a stalled cycle and  I contacted Fritz the people who made the ammonia and they were claiming it stalled because the lack of kh and gh! So I added the alkaline buffer and that raised my ph and then I added the acid buffer to lower it. In hind sight I wouldn’t have done it this way but as soon as I added the alkaline buffer it kick strted the cycle almost instantly. It could’ve just been quintessential. 

4 minutes ago, Mikeo said:

The only reason I added the buffers was because I was dealing with a stalled cycle and  I contacted Fritz the people who made the ammonia and they were claiming it stalled because the lack of kh and gh! So I added the alkaline buffer and that raised my ph and then I added the acid buffer to lower it. In hind sight I wouldn’t have done it this way but as soon as I added the alkaline buffer it kick strted the cycle almost instantly. It could’ve just been quintessential. 

Ah ha......okay.   My well water is crazy low pH, hardness, and TDS.  I use just a few dashes of baking soda to add some carbonates to the water when cycling a new setup.  Bacteria loves carbonates.  Use a small amount of baking soda to get your pH up to, say, around 6.5ish or so.  Then focus on the biology of your tank.  Dial in the hardness etc.... at a later time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mikeo said:

Thanks for the advice should I wait till I cycle the tank before doing the 50 percent water change? My tap water is about 7 ph 3kh and 3gh 

No, I'd do the water change now.  In reality, it probably doesn't really matter but for some reason I'd feel better getting some of those chemicals out of there.  IMO, do a 50% water change and leave the tank alone for a few days.  Let the tank drift to wherever it's going to drift to for a few days then retest your parameters.  Before you add anything new just update this thread with the results after a few days and go from there.  It's really not very complicated.  You will be fine, don't worry.  Good folks here to help you.

• Like 1

stopped at a not so local fish store and they had a very nice selection of plants so I got a very nice looking anubious and a very healthy looking Amazon sword! Oh and my second bacopia caroliniana came in today also. I was scared to do a full 50 percent water chance when I came home so I ended up doing a 25 percent and I got the tds down to 300 so I’ll probably do another water change this weekend! Can someone help me out here I thiink I might be missing something. So if I do a 50 percent water change will my gh and kh be halved also? I don’t want to be in the same boat with a stalled cycle again. 😑 than you guys in advance!!