Snail keeps escaping

m_b_b

I have a mystery snail that keeps finding its way out of the tank. Parameters all good, no ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates vary from 10-40.  I’ve done what I can to keep the tank closed up but today he (she?) crawled out the filter pipe and onto the floor. Anything I could be missing here? Don’t want to discover the snail under my foot one of these days. 

How is your minerals?  KH and GH? If their low it may be looking for minerals. 

Other idea may be food. If it's not getting enough it will be searching for more. Maybe up feedings or target feed a bit.

A way to help may be to shove some lose Polly filter around the outflow making it hard to climb or push through.

The cheeky buggers can do it from time to time.

@m_b_b, it's really unnerving, isn't it? Gah! I was SO glad I didn't step in my guy. He was right beside my foot! 

I'd wondered about parameters, since he was actually in my quarantine tank; but my numbers are good, too.

I taped up the plastic piece he pushed aside to escape. He was new, so I'm hoping it was just curiosity that sent him wandering off. And I will continue the target feeding that was mentioned above.

Let us know if you figure out anything definitive. Good luck! 

I don’t think it’s a hardness issue - we have a well and so generally get rocks out of the tap.  Maybe a need for more food, as the algae has been a bit better controlled lately. I also note my pest snail population has tapered off in this tank, much to the chagrin of the pea puffer that lives upstairs.  I’ll throw some zucchini in there and see if that helps.  

Seems this is a common thing.  We lost a prior mystery snail to a foot.  My daughter stepped on that one when it escaped and we tried to nurse him back to health for a while, but he was never the same.  I’m not sure my daughter will ever be the same either - it was quite traumatic.  We have most escape routes sealed off now, but this one still managed to sneak out.  

• 3 weeks later...