Température range

Karen B.

Greetings!

I am still struggling a bit with the whole temperature range. I understand they can live between these temperatures but the extremes are not ideal.

i have a 20 gallons tank with 12 white clouds minnows and 2 mexicain dwarf crayfish. Am still a beginner so for now, plastic plants... that sometimes get brown algea. It annoys me so I would like to get otocinclus. But would they be ok with my minnows as they prefer their water on the cooler sides? I find many sites and the information vary so much.

At what temp do you think my whole group could be happy and thrive? I was thinking 72 f? But it seems in the upper range for White Clouds.

« Your tank should be kept between 64-72°F. Fluctuations above and below this range are tolerable, but the temperature should never exceed 80°F. » (source : fishkeepingworld)

And the lower range for the otocinclus 

« The temperature should be 72-79°F » (same source).

What are your toughts? Can I have both these species in my tank? 

Thank you!

Karen

56 minutes ago, Karen B. said:

Greetings!

I am still struggling a bit with the whole temperature range. I understand they can live between these temperatures but the extremes are not ideal.

i have a 20 gallons tank with 12 white clouds minnows and 2 mexicain dwarf crayfish. Am still a beginner so for now, plastic plants... that sometimes get brown algea. It annoys me so I would like to get otocinclus. But would they be ok with my minnows as they prefer their water on the cooler sides? I find many sites and the information vary so much.

At what temp do you think my whole group could be happy and thrive? I was thinking 72 f? But it seems in the upper range for White Clouds.

« Your tank should be kept between 64-72°F. Fluctuations above and below this range are tolerable, but the temperature should never exceed 80°F. » (source : fishkeepingworld)

And the lower range for the otocinclus 

« The temperature should be 72-79°F » (same source).

What are your toughts? Can I have both these species in my tank? 

Thank you!

Karen

You should be fine adding the ottos. but you could also add a hillstream loach as they do prefer colder waters and will help you with your algae problems. 

23 minutes ago, James Black said:

You should be fine adding the ottos. but you could also add a hillstream loach as they do prefer colder waters and will help you with your algae problems. 

@James BlackBeleive me I would love to add a hillstream loach but I do not think my current is strong enough and I am not sure how it would fare with my dwarf crayfish?

@Karen B.if you’re concerned about the loaches living with crayfish Ottos will have the same issues. Since your main fish likes cooler temps I would go with snails or maybe some smaller livebearers to help control algae. The other thing you need to look at is why do you have algae growing so fast. You may want to reduce the length of time the lights are on and how much you feed the fish as too much uneaten food will reek havoc on your water parameters and algae will take advantage of the situation.