The unofficial 55g breeding for profit thread

Canuck AquaTropix

We should all share our ideas on 55g breeding for profit set ups.

I am in the process of putting one together.  After watching several of Corey's videos on breeding for profit, here is what I have come up with.

2M/4F guppy or endler (i can't decide)

1M/2F Ancistrus or a fancy pleco such as Blue Phantom

Cherry Shrimp

Corydoras (will try for Sterbai if I can find some)

Java Moss or Juppy Grass

What do you think of this set up and do you see any issues?

I am quite interested in what others would say to your proposal because I have considered something similar (but not necessarily for profit). I have quite a bit of driftwood, rocks, etc which is great until I start considering what it would be like come vacuum time. Also, I was considering the small number of nano fish and am concerned about them getting/discovering the food come feeding time (before it reaches the bottom). I need a feeding regiment that is easy enough to pass on to someone come vacation time.

It appears as though The Wet Spot has some Sterbais as well as Aqua Huna.

Sounds pretty good to me. I have a 55 full of blue star endlers and 9 cory cats that constantly breed for me. 

Something that I think you could benefit from is a floating plant like water sprite. Anything with long roots. In my experience it will encourage the guppies and shrimp to feel more protection from anything down below and will breed pretty regularly. 

On 11/15/2020 at 5:23 PM, JordanAlmonds said:

I have a 40 with guppies and cherry shrimp. I have thought about adding plecos too. I would think that the shrimp would eat the corydoras eggs wouldn’t they?

I use cherry shrimp in tanks with eggs. They don't eat them, and are actually beneficial They will help keep the eggs clean and fungus free.

19 hours ago, Lynze said:

I use cherry shrimp in tanks with eggs. They don't eat them, and are actually beneficial They will help keep the eggs clean and fungus free.

Have you had any experience raising killi eggs with cherry shrimp? I'd love to try that pairing (since I have both species in my possession currently) if it has a decent chance of producing well. 

27 minutes ago, TooManySnakes said:

Have you had any experience raising killi eggs with cherry shrimp? I'd love to try that pairing (since I have both species in my possession currently) if it has a decent chance of producing well. 

Just Rainbows, but I don't imagine  the results would be any different. It's worth a try. I never use meds to keep eggs from getting fungus, just shrimp. 

• Thanks 1

Personally I'd stick to only 2, maybe 3 of the species you mentioned...I might remove the pleco for starters. I think trying to breed that many species in one tank would hinder production of each type...like the breeding for profit video suggests, possibly go with just the guppies and shrimp, and add java moss, or do guppies with sterbai Corydoras. I have heard multiple "professional" corydoras breeders note that cherry shrimp will actually eat their eggs, so you may want to only select one of that combo.

In the end, whatever makes you the happiest is what I recommend you go with, but if you're focused exclusively on the profit from the tank, I'd go with only 2 of the 4 species you mentioned, probably the guppies and shrimp.