Ich on Betta

K. M.

I'm new to the aquarium hobby and haven't had to treat ich ever before. I have a 10G planted tank for my betta. He had tank mates (neon tetra and a clown pleco) which unfortunately succumbed to ich :( .

Water parameters were good following a half water change. I began treatment with aquarium salt (1tsp per gallon) about 38 hours ago. He has several white spots on his fins, but they have not spread. Cory's video on Ich said that it would spread a lot, but it hasn't been the case for my betta. I'm not sure if the lack of spread is due to it not being ich or because I've been using aquarium salt. 

I tried to get a picture, but unfortunately the little dude was camera-shy today. I'm unsure if I should stay the course and just let the aquarium salt do its thing, or pair Ich meds with it. I'd love to hear input from anyone who has dealt with this!

1 hour ago, K. M. said:

I'm new to the aquarium hobby and haven't had to treat ich ever before. I have a 10G planted tank for my betta. He had tank mates (neon tetra and a clown pleco) which unfortunately succumbed to ich 😞 .

Water parameters were good following a half water change. I began treatment with aquarium salt (1tsp per gallon) about 38 hours ago. He has several white spots on his fins, but they have not spread. Cory's video on Ich said that it would spread a lot, but it hasn't been the case for my betta. I'm not sure if the lack of spread is due to it not being ich or because I've been using aquarium salt. 

I tried to get a picture, but unfortunately the little dude was camera-shy today. I'm unsure if I should stay the course and just let the aquarium salt do its thing, or pair Ich meds with it. I'd love to hear input from anyone who has dealt with this!

to treat ich you should turn the temp up to 82, and does the reccemoneded amount for ich x every day. while using aquarium salt. It could just be the ich is getting better and thats why its not spreading. If you could try to send a picture of your betta and that way we can make sure its ich. 

• Like 2

Ich is a very slowly progressive disease. The few times I've seen fish succumb to it, it was usually due to a secondary infection. Aquarium salt is an effective treatment because it dehydrates the protozoa. It isn't effective against all life stages (and neither is Ich-X) so it may take some time to see the full results. Raising the temperature in the tank accelerates the life cycle of the parasite, meaning that it will reach a life stage that is vulnerable to salt sooner. It sounds like you're doing very well with the treatment!

• Like 1

Thank you! I'm treating using aquarium salt and Tetra Ich Guard pills. I'll stay the course for now. 

I tried getting more pics of Lil Ricky the Betta but when I can get him to approach the glass, the lighting has been off and doesn't highlight the spots on his tail and fins.

He seems to be tolerating the treatments well so far, so fingers crossed that he pulls through!