Lava rock for aquascaping elevation?

Taregreen

For elevation below substrate, I've used Lava Rock from hardware/home improvement stores (Lowes, etc.) with great success. Looks similar to what you linked to, but slightly larger chunks. But still, marketed as for outside fire pits.

If you do end up with larger chunks, you can either break it up pretty easily (though this creates a fair amount of dust), or just fill the gaps with a smaller gravel as you build each layer of elevation. I like doing the latter, but I have no demonstrative reason why.

I've also seen other aquascapers say using that much lava rock to build elevation also allows for a deep bed, anoxic zone for nitrate breathing bacteria, thus lowering the frequency of water changes needed to manage nitrates.

I've never experimented side-by-side with that, though. I'd be interested if anyone had some data.

• Thanks 1

Bricks can and do work, assuming you know they are inert or you don't care if they aren't. But bricks are also relatively heavy, which may be a consideration depending on how many you are using and also what kind of stand your tank is on.

Lava rock is nice because in addition to the possible nitrate removing bed, it is also inert and pretty light for both its volume and its strength.

• Thanks 1