ACO brine shrimp salt In RO water?

KittenFishMom

I was running low on bbs eggs so I just placed an order with ACO for eggs and their special salt.  I have been using Instant Ocean, and adding Epsom Salt and baking soda and chlorine to my RO water. It works well, but I am very curious to see if this salt makes much difference.  I wish ACO sold it in 1 or even 5 pound amounts. at a Tablespoon per litter, 14 pounds will last a lifetime.  I would have bought it the first time I saw it if it was only a pound, like the crushed coral. I think the price must reflect some of the cost of shipping. I hope the plants I ordered to get free shipping don't get smashed during shipping. Has anyone else trIed it with RO water? Does it need any tinkering with RO water?

Edited by KittenFishMom
added chlorine to the text

On 7/30/2023 at 1:04 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I was running low on bbs eggs so I just placed an order with ACO for eggs and their special salt.  I have been using Instant Ocean, and adding Epsom Salt and baking soda to my RO water. It works well, but I am very curious to see if this salt makes much difference.  I wish ACO sold it in 1 or even 5 pound amounds. at a Tablespoon per litter, 14 pounds will last a lifetime.  I would have bought it the first time I saw it if it was only a pound, like the crushed coral. I think the price must reflect some of the cost of shipping. I hope the plants I ordered to get free shipping don't get smashed during shipping. Has anyone else trIed it with RO water? Does it need any tinkering with RO water?

You know using tap water without dechlorinater is actually better for brine shrimp hatching? According to @Cory, the chlorine actually helps break down the eggs. Is there a specific reason you moved to RO water for it?

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 4:55 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@Shadow Our water is well water with a lot of ammonia in it, no chlorine. I do add 2 drops of chlorine per liter of water for hatching bbs.  I forgot to mention it above.

Ahhhh makes sense. Yea I ran on well water at one of my homes in the country ages ago...I definitely remember the perils.