Sponge Filter size

DannyRaisin4

Hey everybody, I was wondering if anyone could help me determine what size sponge filter to get. I have a 36G bowfront and it already has an AcuaClear 50 hob. I was checking out AqAdvisor and it said I should increase the filtration when I added more fish to the tank. At the moment I have 2 small angels, 6 false julii corys, 2 nerite snails. I want to add 6 or 7 rummy nose tetras but would like to add a sponge filter to assist with the filtration capacity. Any ideas on which size I should purchase? 

• Like 1

I personally prefer the medium option that Aquarium Coop sells, it's rated for 20g but I believe it certainly has the capability to hold enough bacteria for larger tanks up to a 55g. When moving my 55g, I had to temporarily place 4 swordtails, 8 tiger barbs, 3 dwarf gouramis, a golden wonder killifish, a (juvenile) red tail shark, 2 (juvenile) angelfish, a gold gourami, a honey gourami, a dwarf mexican crayfish and a red lizard whiptail all in a 20g long. I only planned for them all to be in there for a few hours but it ended up being 3 days due to complications. I was extremely worried, tested the water several times and not once did the ammonia or nitrite rear it's ugly head.

On top of that, Cory has said he prefers his medium-sized sponge filter rated for 20gs in larger tanks that it isn't officially rated for, though I am not sure which livestream he mentioned that in.

I'm convinced the convienent size of the medium-sized filter is the best option between the 4 that aquarium coop sells. It doesn't take up much space as the larger option above it while seemingly able to handle very large colonies of bacteria for very large bioloads that it isn't officially rated for. Just my opinion though!

Edited by Alec2cool
  • Like 1