Storing excess plants/trimmings

StephenP2003

I've reached a point in my planted tanks where a lot of my trimmings/runners need to be removed since I'm out of room. I'd like to be able to trade them in at my LFS once I've accumulated enough -- right now, mostly runners from vals and trimmed hygrophila, ludwigia, and bacopa. What's a cheap way to store them for -- say -- a month or two (and ideally let the stems sprout new roots)? A desk lamp over a bucket? Does the water need regular changes, circulation, heat?

Edited by StephenP2003
  • Like 1

I usually keep my excess trimmings in buckets outside. I also put a guppy or two, just so that they will eat any mosquito larvae that might appear 

1 hour ago, StephenP2003 said:

I've reached a point in my planted tanks where a lot of my trimmings/runners need to be removed since I'm out of room. I'd like to be able to trade them in at my LFS once I've accumulated enough -- right now, mostly runners from vals and trimmed hygrophila, ludwigia, and bacopa. What's a cheap way to store them for -- say -- a month or two (and ideally let the stems sprout new roots)? A desk lamp over a bucket? Does the water need regular changes, circulation, heat?

One problem you may run into if you just let them float. Stem plants will grow roots all along the stem. Not just where you trimmed them. Might not be the best visual for stores trying to resell them. If you're just floating for a day or two no biggie. But after a month they will definitely try to send roots to the substrate, all along the stem. 

• Like 3

I tried to set something like this up

Tuff Stuff 40 gallon - 40$
1/2 bag Miracle grow organic top soil - 7$
bag of pea gravel - 5$
aquatop 211 gph with med size pre filter sponge - 25$
GE 32 watt grow light - 30$
clip light with aluminium reflector - 10$ 
smart Plug - 10$

I already had everything except the Pea Gravel and the grow light so it really only cost me 35$, but if you dont have everything it can be a little more expensive.

the 1 light works great for the 40 gallon at about 1-2 feet above the water, my next attempt will probably be with a 60 gallon laguna tub, if i can find someplace selling them with free shipping, but i am not sure if the one light would be enough for the 42 inch length.

• Like 2

As MattyIce said, a shallow plastic tub with soil in it and grow lights. You don't even need a substrate cap or a filter. The soil in the water will eventually settle if you not keep stiring the water. Keep the plants close to the surface and you'll get plenty of growth. Maybe a transparent lid to reduce evaporation but allow airflow. 

2 hours ago, Diego said:

As MattyIce said, a shallow plastic tub with soil in it and grow lights. You don't even need a substrate cap or a filter. The soil in the water will eventually settle if you not keep stiring the water. Keep the plants close to the surface and you'll get plenty of growth. Maybe a transparent lid to reduce evaporation but allow airflow. 

I do not have any experience planting into a 100% dirt substrate that isnt stratum, once it settles is something like miracle grow top soil firm enough to hold plants down or would one need to use plant weights to keep the stem plants from floating?

Plants are the best filter 🙂 Circulation is only necessary if you dose fertilizer, Having dirt in the tank will make the water so rich in nutriments that you'll have plenty. Remember this is not good if you have animals inside but plants should be good. Filtering and water movemnt usually brings oxigen and gas CO2. For plants you want the opposite as they produce oxigen and are short in CO2. Shallow water will increase the CO2 concentration and the dissolved carbon from the soil will add on that.

Potting soil will settle, You are going to have floating debries if you are not sieving the soil, but this is not an auqarium and you don't care how presentable it is. Just use a net to remove the floating stuff if it covers too much the surface. Just wet the soil slowly  and add water very slowly and you should be fine. You can cap it too: sand, crush coral, gravel, anything you have but not too much. Yes you'll need weights for some plants.

But really I am making it too complicated now. If you have an empty shallow plastic tub you don't even need soil. Add weights to the plants, dose easy green and give them lights. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Diego said:

Potting soil will settle, You are going to have floating debries if you are not sieving the soil, but this is not an auqarium and you don't care how presentable it is. Just use a net to remove the floating stuff if it covers too much the surface. Just wet the soil slowly  and add water very slowly and you should be fine. You can cap it too: sand, crush coral, gravel, anything you have but not too much. Yes you'll need weights for some plants.

But really I am making it too complicated now. If you have an empty shallow plastic tub you don't even need soil. Add weights to the plants, dose easy green and give them lights. 

I'm just using the dirt with a cap so i don't need to use weights.

Agreed, Tub, weights, EZ Green, and light is all that is really needed.  likely also easier to keep balanced with weekly Easy Green Dosing vs dirt.