Betta Sorority: How does your tank look?

Joe V

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 11:26 AM, ange said:

I've been considering a sorority but have been nervous. Please post updates on your tank's progress!

They can be a gamble, but there’s people who’ve had success. One of the last aquariums I had was a female betta sorority, eleven females in a 50 gallon. I think with some well monitoring, and having a good backup plan (it was all separate backup tanks in my case to have on hand), it definitely makes a difference if something does end up going bad, as you might be able to catch it early. Some people have found that adding the more dominant females last helps in the beginning, since they have a disadvantage to establishing a set territory. All in all, there’s a lot of ways to go about it, but the unexpected can always happen (and that risk will always be there with sororities). Personally, I’m not one to do it again, just because I worry about the potential risks, even when I had long term success with a sorority previously. But it was a neat experience, and my mom was very fond of it (she also became super attached to all of the bettas) 😅 

My 50 hex is a pseudo-sorority. It's a semi-aggressive community and I have two girls in there. They both swim in radically different areas of the tank and rarely encounter each other. There was a third female however she was picked on and was separated. Personally I don't think sororities are for me, I had more peace of mind when they were living separately during quarantine and both fish seemed happier. Hopefully once 2020 is over I'll be able to move the last two girls into their own setups.