What's That (I) Found Wednesday

Daniel

Do you ever say to yourself, gosh what's that I found (WTF) in my aquarium?

Well this morning was a WTF Wednesday for me.

I am feeding my young sparkling gouramis their morning ration of baby brine shrimp when an electric blue flash caught my eye. Baby neon's?

A baby zebra danio? No, two baby zebra danios!

My best guess is just before putting the baby gouramis in this 40 breeder I had used this aquarium for a group fish that included a few zebra danios. While I drained all the water out of the aquarium and set it aside, I didn't clean it before adding green water and baby sparkling gouramis. I never clean between setups because I want the beneficial bacteria to get a head start in the new tank. Apparently there were also some beneficial zebra danio eggs or fry included in the grunge.

Welcome to WTF Wednesday.

• Like 10

Found this last Friday, but seems like it fits really well here on the What's That (I) Found Wednesday post:

Hope it doesn't give anybody nightmares!!! 😫

EDITED to ADD:   The general consensus is that it was a dragonfly larvae nymph.  

Dragonfly_Larva_2-22-16.jpg
NATURE.MDC.MO.GOV

Dragonfly larvae are aquatic insects with large eyes, six legs, and an oval or rounded segmented abdomen. The lower jaws are scooplike and cover much of the lower part of the head.

And now that I know what that part is that was moving, I'm even MORE grossed out!!!!!

Edited by akconklin
added info
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 9:18 PM, Aubrey said:

WTF a leech, or leeches.

So I found one of these a couple of weeks ago and promptly removed it. Now it seems that there was more than one. I think they're harmless to fish though.

I have found one of these in one of my nano tanks...I fed it to my angel fish, who is my largest, most aggressively hungry, and most responsive except for the betta (I can point to food and they rush over, lol). I suspect there are more in the substrate. Shudder.

• 1 month later...

I know it's not Wednesday but this is a wtf.

I have a microscope and I want to see if there are tardigrades in my aquarium. I don't know much about them, but they are also called water bears or moss piglets. So I was examining a strand of moss that was growing both above and below water in search of them when I came across this. 

20210123_180252.jpg.40d7f7adb1b94d3866179c4cb21538a7.jpg

Louse? Tick? Mite? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

Went to clean my coarse AC sponge filter in one of my basement tanks and found this cool little Plumatella repens colony living in/on it. I lost my last bryozoan colony somehow, so I was excited to see these pop up again in another tank. I plan to get down there this evening with a macro lens and hopefully get a better photo 🙂20210223_193809.jpg.2b533e556ec550029ad297777d5590f2.jpg

• Like 5

@Daniel, Actually, I learned last Tuesday\Wednesday, it is sometimes what is not found in an aquarium, that may be unusual.  Moved some average-sized Guppies from one tank to the other & couldn't find them the next day.  So, I guess this is a Where's The Fish analogy, instead.  The fish eventually showed themselves down in the heavy plants.  By later that day, they were free swimming throughout the aquarium.  Cannot be certain, but I believe some of the Zebra Danios were chasing them a bit.  

• Like 1