Canister Filter for Wide RImmed Tank (favor to ask)

Hi all - I'm fielding a quote on a custom tank, and the rims they use are metal, and 1.5" wide. I'm a bit surprised that canister manufacturers don't supply the info on how wide a rim their j-hook/rim accessories will accommodate. 

The builder of the tank it pretty sure that the fluval fx rim connectors will fit over it (they usually do sumps, I just don't have the room) - but it will be tight - if it's too tight I'm worried it will eventually break. I'm looking at other manufacturers like Oase and Eheim, but am not sure on the width by just looking at the pics and vids I've found. 

If you use any of these brands (or any brand you would endorse), would you mind measuring for max rim width? 

I suppose I could make my own jhook and use any filter I want (I know Cory did a vid on that), but I'm curious if there's anything out there that would work out of the box and look a little sleeker (and save some setup time). 

This I the hook from a fluval 07. It may/may not seat in the entire way but left up a touch higher and just allow longer hoses it should work. It’s an extra I have I use for returning water to tanks. 

CA6276BC-15D1-4AE9-88FA-27D18A1F663C.jpeg

882D7FE1-954A-4400-8129-9070AA8254E1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 10:24 AM, Guppysnail said:

This I the hook from a fluval 07. It may/may not seat in the entire way but left up a touch higher and just allow longer hoses it should work. It’s an extra I have I use for returning water to tanks. 

Thank you! I appreciate the pics. 

Posted (edited)

Hi @MattyM, this may or may not work for your situation, but I set up a huge acrylic tank where the perimeter rim is 4" wide. I have 3 canisters on it and had to reshape the hoses by immersing them in boiling water followed by ice water to set the new shape. I have no anchorage as they've formed a 'hook' that seems to be holding it shape well, even under pressure The left one is from a SunSun 704b and the right one is from a Fluval FX6:

DSC_0116.JPG.c9f03081083e57917d6994fa586741d6.JPG

Alternatively, these fixtures for washing machines come in almost any size imaginable. Good luck! 

Amazon.com - SINRAD Washers & Dryers Universal U Shape Drain Hose Guide Assembly Fits All Drain Hose Washing Machine Discharge Hose Clip Hose Holder Appliances -

Edited by dasaltemelosguy
  • Like 3