Trouble with algae in green terror tank! Any suggestions?

HenryC

I am having troubles with my green terror 45g tank. He's the sole inhabitant here, and I do about 40% water change every week, when nitrates reach about 30-40ppm.

I can't get rid of this algae! For some reason this tank is giving me way mopre problems than the others, even my oscar tank with a vieja and 2 severums doesn't have this much algae. I am dosing Easy Carbon (5 Pumps a day), and also added an ambulia wall so they can soak up any excess nutrients since they grow damn fast, but I cannot seem to erradicate this algae.

I have a photoperiod of 10 hours in full strength, do you think that's too much? I also ad easy green every other day. 

Any suggestions on how to find a balance? What would you do? Decrease light time, increase ferts, increase water changes, increase easy carbon? Perhaps feed my green terror less? I feed him heavily 3 times a day cause that's what I was suggested because he's growing up.

I also tried adding a TON of Ramshorn and pond snails, and this bully ate them all lol, I watched helplessly as she crunched every single one U___U. Any algae eaters compatible with this bully lol? I had to buy this tank for him cause he was beating my peaceful oscar and severums lol. Maybe a pleco? I got a few amanos and ottos, but I know they'll be a snack the moment they enter the tank lol.

Thanks!

124037130_1067604397038738_8629277810574542045_n.jpg

124570988_402429841112402_3649198230394983008_n.jpg

124571577_2848941125320782_4289964138787718454_n.jpg

124719070_450808472556949_915970633913441623_n.jpg

Edited by HenryC

• Administrators

How long has the tank been setup? Looks like a lot of light with white substrate, which is usually a recipe for algae. 5 pumps of easy carbon a day seems like way too much, also dosing easy green every other day depending on how many pumps could be too much. Balance is what you're hoping to achieve, seems like MORE is just going in to try and solve the problem, but may require less.

Think about what you're doing, dosing lots of products, changing 40% of the water back out. You either need more nutrients or you need less, you are doing both.

1 hour ago, Cory said:

How long has the tank been setup? Looks like a lot of light with white substrate, which is usually a recipe for algae. 5 pumps of easy carbon a day seems like way too much, also dosing easy green every other day depending on how many pumps could be too much. Balance is what you're hoping to achieve, seems like MORE is just going in to try and solve the problem, but may require less.

Think about what you're doing, dosing lots of products, changing 40% of the water back out. You either need more nutrients or you need less, you are doing both.

Thanks Cory! The tank has been set up for about 2 months. I think I will lower the light to 30-50% and try less easy green. Ambulia doesn't need that much light right? I also have some hygrophila and dwarf lily.