Temperature Swings and Bacteria

theotheragentm

I have an office tank with shrimp and 9 ember tetras. It believe it to be heavily planted for this bioload, Dwarf Sag carpet, random crypts, and a dwarf aquarium lily. I feed it during work days, feeding a little heavier on Fridays since I won't be around during the weekend. When I came in on Monday this week, the tank was a little cloudy-white, which I chalked up to a bacterial bloom, but nothing had really changed in my schedule. All the fish are accounted for, and no shrimp corpses seem to be laying around. I'm not overly concerned, more curious. It's Tuesday now, and it appears to be clear again.

Right now I'm assuming I didn't over feed and didn't lose a bunch of shrimp all at once. There is one thing I think might be a factor here. I didn't have the heater on in this tank. This past weekend, the temperature dropped a lot in Southern California for a couple days, so the tank probably dropped from 72F to 64F through the weekend. Would this have any effect on the bacteria? I lean towards no because the temperature swing isn't that large, but I was curious if anyone else experienced something like this or had any insight.

Won't cause an issue with your bacteria because the change is gradual and not that much really, also depending on a bunch of factors like the type of filter you use or timer on a light, your tank very well may run warmer then the surrounding air. I have heard that the BB will survive up until around 55F. I don't know that to be fact just what I heard.