is there an electronic monitor for water clarity?

I have noticed that water gets cloudy when my sponge filter has been off for many hours. Is there a monitor for water clarity, or a way to verify that my filters are in actual operation?

We have them on smart switches but what if airline tubing somehow popped off?

Edited by HelplessNewbie
bad grammar

you can use something external to the glass on a microcontroller (arduino type of thing) on the glass.  They have stuff that is based on infrared or laser based sensors.  It's a common type of sensor used for things from measurement all the way up to alarms. You could also look into a flow sensor on the uplift tube.... think, watercooling parts for a PC.

Off the shelf, something for water monitoring though, I'm not sure.  Maybe conductivity?

• Thanks 1

The Mark 2 eyeball is pretty good at picking up cloudiness in a tank.

It also works very well at discerning if bubbles of air are coming out of a sponge filter, box filter or ugf riser tube.

rising bubbles are not the same as water flow though.  A sponge filter if finer pore size can get quite clogged cutting flow down significantly, and waterflow frommair driven filtration is dramatically less than powered filtration.  The best I have come up with is lowering the water level below the outlet and getting a feel of how many inches you can lower the waterlevel and still have a bit of flow.

At best with a good airstone in a fairly long riser tube and no restriction you might have about 2 inches of head.  Ie it can flow water 2 inches above water level.  You can get a rue appreciation for the difference in flow between power filtration that typically have feet of head vs air driven that have at best 2 inches of head…

I do recognize your query seems directed more to an electronic optical sensor, but one really would not have much practical use in the situation of an airline popping off…

• Thanks 1