Water chemistry problem

Reg

The water in our 40 gallon freshwater aquarium was pH 6.6 yesterday (tested at Firdale store).  I added 2 tsp of pH

7.0 Seachem Neutral Regulator last night.  This morning I find the pH is even lower (pH 6.4).  Any explanations?  Does Neutral Regulator lose effectiveness with age? (This batch is 5 - 10 years old but looks fresh.)

Edited by Reg

There are a few things that could be going on here, Age could be one, I never use those type of products so I am unsure of their shelf life, but I would expect it to still have at least some effect. 

pH is kinda controlled from the kH and your nitrogen cycle and plants, when your tank is cycling it can lower the pH, additionally plants absorbed the nutrients and minerals can lower the PH if you run out of kH. 

Driftwood will also passively lower your PH so if you have that in the tank it will also lower. 

My opinion is to add crushed coral to help buffer your kH and stabilize your ph, its more passive I have had bad experiences using the PH up or PH down powder as well as the ph neutralizer powder I am not a fan. 

8 hours ago, Reg said:

This morning I find the pH is even lower (pH 6.4).  Any explanations?  Does Neutral Regulator lose effectiveness with age? (This batch is 5 - 10 years old but looks fresh.)

pH varies over the course of night and day in a planted aquarium. It is usually lowest in the morning because the plants have giving off CO2 all night which lowers the pH.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of 'doing things naturally'. All of these chemical we 'can add' to our tanks is only a temporary solution. You've heard it before, you are curing the symptom and not the disease.

The crushed coral is a much better solution.

That said, @Cory has said time and time again, are your fish happy? If yes, then why chase a specific number?

Good luck with your tank.