I visited the Georgia Aquarium yesterday.

RobertE

Apart from the Tanganyika thunderdome tank, I was extremely impressed with the selection and layout of it. The whale shark tank was absolutely stunning and the freshwater layouts were inspiring. 

General public aquarium discussion is welcome here or the Georgia Aquarium in particular.

• Like 1

Georgia Aquarium is really awesome. I highly recommend taking the tour, to see the top of the six million gallon aquarium. Definitely worth it.

I highly recommend the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans - better than Shedd, and others.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 11:53 AM, RobertE said:

Apart from the Tanganyika thunderdome tank, I was extremely impressed with the selection and layout of it. The whale shark tank was absolutely stunning and the freshwater layouts were inspiring. 

General public aquarium discussion is welcome here or the Georgia Aquarium in particular.

Rickey’s Aquarium in Gatlinburg, TN is also an amazing aquarium to visit. 

I have wanted to visit the Georgia Aquarium for a while too. 

I try to visit the Georgia Aquarium anytime we take a trip to Atlanta (about 4 hrs from us). It's definitely one of my all time favorites. Got to watch the whale sharks get fed on one of our last visits.

I really like the Tennessee Aquarium as well. It's definitely worth the trip if anyone visits Chattanooga. 

• Like 1

I've never been able to visit the Georgia aquarium, but have been to the Tennessee aquarium in Chattanooga, TN and it was really nice. In case you guys didn't know, there is a show on Animal Planet called "The Aquarium" that shows behind the scenes at the Georgia Aquarium, its pretty neat to see all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, from feedings, vet care training and all. 

I have never been to the  Georgia Aquarium but want to at some point.

I grew up at the New England Aquarium in Boston the center ocean tank mertle the turtle is great and the bottom tank which was basically the whole floor below elevated walkways it had sharks in the 80s and last time was a penguin exhibit with dozens zipping around.

I visited Denver Aquarium a handful of times lots of freshwater exhibits there, cool amazon stuff and a restaurant with the ocean tank as a wall,  Shedd in Chicago was amazing. Denver has some of Shedd in its design. 

Monterey Bay Aquarium every weekend when at the language Institute. I missed the baby great whites but the open ocean tank is very cool.

I did a cross country move from Virginia to Colorado post Army and stopped at every zoo and Aquarium along the way that I could. Public Aquarium road trips are pretty fun if ever an option; if I am in a city for any length of time the public aquarium and zoo is on my list. I would also throw in zoos with aquatic exhibits in here. They have probably been the introduction to the hobby for many.

A zoo aquatic exhibit at the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson AZ is where I first got exposed to how interesting native North American fish are. They had an awesome desert pupfish habitat and probably are the reason why I enjoy keeping the flagfish,  killifish in general, and goodeids so much. 

What exhibit have your taken the most out of for your hobby?

• Like 2

I just know that ever since I got back into aquariums a few years ago, I always make a bee line for any freshwater exhibits in aquariums and zoos. I enjoy that I can identify so many of the species now, including the various plants. 

I don't remember where I was, maybe it was the Tennesee Aquarium, but they had Mbu puffers and I was like "Yaaaay it's Murphy!"

• Like 1

I agree that on whatever trip I take must include a zoo or aquarium. The closest aquarium to me currently is the Wonders of Wildlife in Springfield, Mo.

Luckily my parents live there and I have been to it about a half a dozen times. Even if I don't go to the aquarium, the Bass Pro shop that it is located at is the headquarter store and has several large tank displays with all sorts of native fish, birds, alligators and even a small stream runs through the camping section.

• Like 1