Searchem Ammonia Alert

Izzyf

On 6/15/2023 at 12:39 AM, Izzyf said:

Just wondering if anyone has used this product and if it is any good at warning you if ammonia levels get too high? 

IMG_0430.png

I searched soooo many comments before about this. Sadly most people were not satisfied with the results.

Ammonia readings are not something you can risk based on a couple good experience when there is so many comments that don't suggest it. I would suggest going by a test kit. I use Sera's one, it readsboth  ammonia and ammonium

On 6/15/2023 at 7:52 AM, Pepere said:

I think most of the comments are driven by peoples misunderstanding as to what this is alerting for.

It alerts for free ammonia, not total ammonia which consists of free ammonia and non toxic Ammonium.  Liquid ammonia tests such as API ammonia tests register total Ammonia which is free ammonia and ammonium

Yes I use these especially on fry tanks that are fed heavy or new tanks that were a rush together tank that has not seasoned. 
I am very satisfied with them but do not rely on them as my sole method of testing. 
I agree most folks are unhappy with them because they do not understand what they are testing. 
The free ammonia is the really bad one and that’s what these test. But folks try to verify with a reagent test that tests total ammonia and those readings are much higher so they think the alert cards do not work. 

• Like 2