Outdoor Fish Keeping

TicketedBullet

I’m moving to southern Florida within the month and am quite interested in keeping some outdoor tanks and mini ponds. What has been your experience with outdoor fish keeping? If you were  moving to Florida, what would you keep? Do you have any tips for an outdoor fish keeping noob?? 
thanks all!

When I lived in Tampa Florida in the 80s I found that you could keep just about anything you desired. Nearby Gibsonton, Fl is a hotspot of tropical fish farming in the US (google Segrest Farms).

Cory started a thread on the first day of the Forum and many forum members have shared their experiences here:

• Like 2

Ruud that was a Cory video. Cool stuff. In South Fl you can keep almost any species outside year round. Tanks in the sun will grow algae making it hard to see in. Take into consideration the location of your tub/tank- child safety (some places enforce the treat it like a pool and fence it), mosquitoes (moving water disrupts the larva, bti's will help if over run), the weather- Storms plan your tubs for ease of storm/hurricane preparedness, If it's completely shaded, then the water will stay colder through out the day than a tub in full sun. Full sun in the summer could possibly cook your fish. Summer sun is NO joke. Plants will help to shade it which also helps the evaporation rate. More water is always better- more stable, slower temperature changes. There are tons of ways to insulate around the tubs. Right now I have flag fish and a (multiplying) trio of white clouds in a 40 gallon tuff stuff tub on my porch. It receives afternoon/evening sun and doesn't get direct overhead rain or sun (it's just up under the roof line). Next year the white clouds will have their own tub and I am planning to add orange rice fish and gambusia (spotted preferably) tubs. My neighbors are Rottweiler breeders who have a hard time keeping all of them in the yard and out of my trash so I dare em to complain lol. Many people put guppies out. After a year or so being down there you'll have a much idea of all the contributing factors. As for plants, if your store option is lowes/home depot, then try to find the plants in them cups that are already starting to grow. I waisted $25 just grabbing a few and they still haven't grown. I bought 2 more 4 months later that had leaf sprouts and they are flourishing. I am a huge fan of native plants and fish, but sometimes you need something smaller lol. So I suggest reading on plants as well to see what you like and if it will work for you.

• Like 1

Mainly if a nuisance neighbor keeps filing complaints. Or if it looks like you're starting a fish farm. But kids don't always stay out of other people's yards either so I guess Fish safety from children would be more of a concern. My kid's friends get sent home and grounded from here all the time for putting random things (or their hands) in my mini pond. Some neighborhoods have a home owners association that doesn't allow them at all... Or holiday decorations... I avoid those places haha. If you're renting a lot depends on the kind of landlord you have. 

• Like 1