Help. . . identify if these are true julii Corydoras?

Tedrock

Most Corydoras that are sold as Jullii's are actually the more common Trilineatus though it is very hard to tell the difference at times. To my amateur eye, yours look more like Trilineatus to me, though it has been a long time since I had mine. Jullii's have a more spotted pattern instead of the lines, hence my opinion. 

You might find this link interesting: 

WWW.PLANETCATFISH.COM

The Aquarium Catfish Website. Images are copyright and may not be reproduced without permission of the copyright holder.

Edited by Ruud
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

Most Corydoras that are sold as Jullii's are actually the more common Trilineatus though it is very hard to tell the difference at times. To my amateur eye, yours look more like Trilineatus to me, though it has been a long time since I had mine. Jullii's have a more spotted pattern instead of the lines, hence my opinion. 

You might find this link interesting: 

WWW.PLANETCATFISH.COM

The Aquarium Catfish Website. Images are copyright and may not be reproduced without permission of the copyright holder.

I learn something new on the Forum everyday. C. julii have only spots and no trace of the reticulation. C. trilineatus have reticulation especially on the head. Not to hard to spot once it has been explained.

• Like 1

With reticulation (had to google translate that and still came inconclusive) I think you mean the line pattern instead of the dotted pattern @Daniel?

I understand your disappointment @Tedrock but they are good and healthy looking Cory's . The Trilineatus was the first Cory I held (followed by Gold laser, Green laser and Brochis splendid) and they are very nice. But yes it always sucks if you get something else than you ordered. 

• Thanks 1

Many time Corydoras are imported as one thing, and that name will stick with them all through the supply chain to the LFS. Most of the times, the LFS has no clue what they are, unless there happens to be someone working that is good at identifying the fish. I've imported fish with my local club and ordered one type of cory and ended up with actually three different species in the bag. If they had gone to an LFS they all probably would have been sold under the name they received them as.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tedrock said:

These are more fish from the same group. 

F280A87D-1119-461F-AAC7-A4AF1E5CAB53.jpeg

72D752B5-8D95-4835-86B4-237461B3CD5B.jpeg

Pretty sure this one (top cory in the second pic) is corydoras similis, the smudge spot corydoras. A beautiful cory in its own right! But not a julii. The smudge around the base of the tail will get a purple-ish sheen in the right light

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1