RTS (Restless Tank Syndrome)

CJs Aquatics

Hey all, it’s late where I am but I had an interesting topic. I feel it’s talked about a lot but basically I find myself in the predicament that I put all kind of work into tanks, and breeding, aesthetics, tech, no tech, just general fish keeping and often times find myself with what I like to call RTS or restless tank syndrome. I get bored with my tanks, want to change them all the time, get bright ideas about making them more effective or aesthetically pleasing or easier to maintenance or whatever the case is, then even after the changes end up repeating this process again not long after, never quite satisfied with them. Anyone have any experience with this/ tips on enjoying them more rather then critiquing them? 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 10:37 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

I get bored with my tanks, want to change them all the time, get bright ideas about making them more effective or aesthetically pleasing or easier to maintenance or whatever the case is, then even after the changes end up repeating this process again not long after, never quite satisfied with them. Anyone have any experience with this/ tips on enjoying them more rather then critiquing them? 

I think I have the exact opposite issue.  "Issue" being a loose term. 

I tend to opt to spend time sitting and observing.  I push myself to take 15-30 minutes when I can and just admire something.  Watch something in the tank and observe it for a little bit.  This might be just watching an amano shrimp for a little while or a particular fish to see what it does.  Watch how the plants move in the current, or check on how they are growing.  There's so many things to observe. 

My first question would be.... Can you describe your tank for me in very high detail using text?  Can you sit in front of the tank even and spent the time to walk us through everything you see.  Spend 15 minutes and just type...

Find a way to admire the tank. Find a way to appreciate the tank for what it is right now.  Don't change it until you're able to do so. 

George Farmer would be a good person to listen to with regards to your topic as well.  His mindset and perspective on this issue is pretty poetic.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Friend, it is OCD. I have it too, to a degree. I make to do lists. I research things (such as desired purchases) entirely too long. I fixate on all the reviews for like an hour when I could be doing something more productive with my time. The next day I find my to do lists and throw them out. While the tasks seemed suuuper important and pressing the day before, the next day I think, eh, that was pretty unimportant. You have a need to be busy, and your tanks are serving that need for you.

There are benefits though! One day I might be fixated on aquascaping. And then what do you know? I learned a lot of stuff, and I enjoyed it. Perhaps overcame a problem with unhappy plants because I sat and learned things and applied them. 

On 5/27/2023 at 2:49 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I push myself to take 15-30 minutes when I can and just admire something.  Watch something in the tank and observe it for a little bit.  This might be just watching an amano shrimp for a little while or a particular fish to see what it does

👆You need to give this a shot. It takes diligence to sit still. You’re not used to sitting still. You need to practice. Focus on ONE thing, a certain fish or invert. And just watch. Observe the behavior. Resist the temptation to create the to do list (even in your head) about what the tank “needs” next. It takes practice. You may even find that moving further away from the tank to observe it allows you to enjoy the big picture, the masterpiece you have created. Grab a cup of coffee and watch the tank from across the room.

Alternatively, you can find a new set of unrelated tasks, such as cooking a new recipe, to occupy your time and to keep your brain busy (happy) so it doesn’t want to change up the tanks. Don’t forget to enjoy and take care of the routine tank maintenance though! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel like this happens more when you create fish tanks like as a part of decor in your house or as a must for a specific purpose, like a breeding project, instead of developing connection with the fish or snails etc.

I feel like adding something to my tanks, a new plant! a new fish! a new critter! whichI have the tanks as a pure display. @Chick-In-Of-TheSea is sometimes like, "LENNIE, YOU ARE ADDICTED!!🤣

Meanwhile, everyday I feel so excited to spend time with my gold dragon betta tub. Handfeed him twice a day, watch him, him acting like a puppy all the time. That tub is the ugliest tank I have lol. I can't care less to design it in a different way or expect to change fish I have there. I love it.

So yea, I feel like you need some fish that you actually develop more personal relations rather than having something to enjoy as a pure aesthetic or a breeding project. Just a puppy. That's what you need I believe!

give it a try 🙂 

• Love 1

I do all the time. That’s what I love about the hobby. My glass box can become anything I want over and over again. 
I prefer RTS to MTS. I have just the right amount of tanks that I don’t feel limited in space and I don’t feel like it’s a job to maintain them. I also have enough time that I can relax and watch my tanks as well as reboot to new new projects. 
My goal is not creating a single perfect work of art I never want to change. 
My goal is creating a healthy stable ecosystem that can be changed and rearranged on a whim. 

• Love 1

On 5/27/2023 at 7:37 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

Hey all, it’s late where I am but I had an interesting topic. I feel it’s talked about a lot but basically I find myself in the predicament that I put all kind of work into tanks, and breeding, aesthetics, tech, no tech, just general fish keeping and often times find myself with what I like to call RTS or restless tank syndrome. I get bored with my tanks, want to change them all the time, get bright ideas about making them more effective or aesthetically pleasing or easier to maintenance or whatever the case is, then even after the changes end up repeating this process again not long after, never quite satisfied with them. Anyone have any experience with this/ tips on enjoying them more rather then critiquing them? 

I get this all the time. See a cool thing. Want to do it. Plan, plan, plan…and then I never get round to doing it. 
I tend to think about aquariums like artworks; only the artist can see and know every fault. 
It may be why I constantly start a “65 gal recommendations” thread.

On 5/27/2023 at 12:53 PM, Lennie said:

time. That tub is the ugliest tank I have lol.

Proof: My Apisto tank has blue-green algae growing on the duckweed on top and I still love it. 😂

• Like 1

I have asked myself many times "If I get this just right, then what?"  RTS devolves into MTS. I have four operating tanks and the material for four more.  I had to draw a line in the substrate as to how many I could actually enjoy!  It is fortunate that none of my tanks have evolved to the point where I think they should be. If you are approaching this as a hobby, then evolution is part of it.  @nabokovfan87@Chick-In-Of-TheSea's comments about observation are key.  Take the time to see your creation instead of just looking at it.

It would help to set a specific goal for each tank.  My TFBs are peaceful to watch as they school, and large enough to watch from the recliner two rooms away.  I could improve the tank setup, but I would not actually be contributing to my ultimate goal for that tank. My planted community tank is fun to observe up close, but not great at a distance. It does have its own camera mounted on the long side, allowing me to watch the fish from a different perspective anywhere/time. It is much closer to a view as the fish see their world.  Their behavior is different when you aren't in the room.

On 5/28/2023 at 8:10 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I get this all the time. See a cool thing. Want to do it. Plan, plan, plan…and then I never get round to doing it. 
I tend to think about aquariums like artworks; only the artist can see and know every fault. 
It may be why I constantly start a “65 gal recommendations” thread.

I'm right there with you on all three.  I have piles of raw materials set aside for the perfect 65 setup, but unless I find a way to get the TFBs in the 75 to accept the SDs living in the 65, it won't happen. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have a 4 tank rule per the husband (actually he wants none) -- 4 tanks and my QT, but I tell him that doesn't count! I started with a 20, then added a 20 long, then a 40. So the 20 morphed into aother 40, and the 20L went to a 29, which then ended up a 75. Each time I get to add more decorations, rocks, plants, and fish. Now I am switching up filtration and going from HOBs to little canisters...if I'm not needing to do something to the tanks every evening, I am bored and have to mess with my houseplants, lol. Keeps me off the internet and from sitting in front of the TV. The next upgrade is replacing the 2 40 breeders with 44 rimless -- that should keep me busy for awhile.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I find myself having the same problem to an extent, for me it’s a lack of patience and concern for the wellbeing of of the fish. I think that is because I am new to the hobby (first tank is about a month old). For example I’m fighting an ammonia spike right now and I feel it’s getting better and I know it takes time to come back down to where it needs to be. But at the same time I’m sitting there watching my tank worrying about the fish and wondering what else I can do to fix it now. 

• Like 1