How Do You Fund Your Hobby?

Bay Area Aquatics

On 11/10/2020 at 3:32 PM, Hobbit said:

I’m a forum manager for an online program for young writers. Basically I teach teenagers how to get along on the internet.

My goodness.  I don't know if I've ever heard of a more difficult job.  You are a saint. (Speaking as someone who has two teenagers)

• Thanks 1

@Larrimore aww, thanks 😄 I taught high school for two years and trust me, this is way easier than that. I can close my computer and take a break from them at any time. Plus this is an extracurricular activity for them so they’re all choosing to be there.

Honestly, I actually really like teenagers. But I think parenting teens is harder than teaching them, so if I ever get my own I may change my mind!

I do YouTube and freelance photography/video production work, mostly in the summer when I am out of school. I also had an Etsy shop for a while, making keychains and wooden peg dolls. It did quite well for a summer, actually, but once school started I just no longer had the time...honestly it was more of hobby, but the money I did make went to my fish tanks, so I guess it counts 😂keychains.jpg.0890df0b207a0e90f5f8bf44cdddecf5.jpg

• Like 4

I work as a conservation biologist, This Fall my team has planted over 1000 trees and restored quite a lot of area around degraded riparian areas 🙂 Satisfying work, and then I spend that money on my own little ecosystems at home hehehe *binges ohko stones and bucephalandra* 👉👈

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the last 22 years I've worked for a division of the Texas A&M Transportation Institute.  My division develops, builds, and tests roadside safety structures (bridge rails, guardrails, signs, etc)  and anti-ram structures such as fences, walls, gates, and drop-arms used to protect sensitive installations like power plants, military bases, and embassies.  See https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Texas+A%26M+Transportation+Institute+crash+tests for some videos you might find interesting.

For the first 11 years there I worked on the construction crew, but in 2009 I moved inside and started doing the drafting and some design work instead.  I've really enjoyed it, especially since as I'm getting older being out in the heat and cold isn't as much fun as it was in my 20's and 30's.

I was a little surprised (I don't know why) to see there are several other people here doing CAD work.  I've been using Solidworks the entire time, and am fairly active on their forum, and have written quite a few blog posts answering frequently asked questions there.

I was also happy to see the post from @Danielabout supplying honeybees.  I worked for a local beekeeper for 2-1/2 years before going to work where I am now.  It's a multi-generational company named B. Weaver Apiaries (I suspect he's heard of them).

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

I was also happy to see the post from @Danielabout supplying honeybees.  I worked for a local beekeeper for 2-1/2 years before going to work where I am now.  It's a multi-generational company named B. Weaver Apiaries (I suspect he's heard of them).

Oh yes the Weavers are legendary.

I have purchased 'Buckfast' honey bee queens from the Weavers a long time ago. But wait, you said B. Weaver. I think I have purchased honey bees from both Weavers (there might be a rivalry between the 2 Weaver operations). I think I purchased the Buckfast bees back in the 1980s before B. Weaver and R. Weaver split into 2 companies.

• Like 1

Im a software engineer working for a company that builds optical fruit and vegetable sorting machines. We build the software and algorithms that drive these machines so that the next time you buy a bag of whatever fruit or vegetable you dont get any rotten pieces. With accurate sorting we try to reduce food waste and improve the overall quality of products. We can sort anything as small as blueberries up to watermelons.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve always used gift cards and saved anything I could over the years to buy what I needed. I would buy the necessities and sometimes extra that wasn’t required, and I used to DIY a lot to make it less costly if I could, and I plan on DIYing a few things for the 20 gallon tall I’m setting up. I’ve never been able to work and had to drop out of high school from my disability, but I’ve been working pretty diligently on preparing for and applying for disability benefits (turns out to be a lot more difficult and straining than expected). Since I can’t really do much of anything and am trying to get back into the hobby, portions of the checks will go towards funding it. My mom has been on board with it and always listens to me talk about future plans about fish, tank designs, etc. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2020 at 1:24 PM, Brandon1433 said:

Also, currently pursuing dream job of a bass fisherman. I fish the BASS Nation series and have made it to the Regional Championship once thus far. Well on the way. 

Also, an old bass angler here. I used to fish some club tournaments but profit was never a part of it. 😄 I haven’t got out much this past year because of quarantine and other health issues. Looking forward to that first DD this spring. Do do Bass Boat Central? I’m an member there, AKA, SoonerFan.

I have found watching my Brichardi tank with probably over 100 fry of all different ages plus adults and how sometimes they suspend up high and other times, tight to cover. Also, how it sometimes has to be just the right sized flake floating by at just the right speed for the big male to eat it...just like bass fishing. 

Edited by L.W. Wetarm
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 9:02 AM, L.W. Wetarm said:

Also, an old bass angler here. I used to fish some club tournaments but profit was never a part of it. 😄 I haven’t got out much this past year because of quarantine and other health issues. Looking forward to that first DD this spring. Do do Bass Boat Central? I’m an member there, AKA, SoonerFan.

I have found watching my Brichardi tank with probably over 100 fry of all different ages plus adults and how sometimes they suspend up high and other times, tight to cover. Also, how it sometimes has to be just the right sized flake floating by at just the right speed for the big male to eat it...just like bass fishing. 

Oh yes the good ol' BassBoatCentral. I am a member. How small the world we live in eh? TheBurke is my profile there. Yes, moon phases and  the corresponding pressure seems to truly be the biggest affects on our aquatic  friends. Temp seems to be the 3rd wheel on the date.

2 hours ago, brentphoto02 said:

My wife and I opened a homemade ice cream and chocolate shop six years ago.  We are getting ready to open a full service restaurant where I will be the executive chef in addition to the ice cream shop 🙂  So great to see all the diverse backgrounds of everyone on here.

Good luck opening the restaurant. I was a chef quite a few years ago and opened a restaurant, so I know the work that's involved.