How Do You Fund Your Hobby?

Bay Area Aquatics

I am the groundskeeper for my local school system. I make sure all of our school grounds are kept up, grass mowed, bushes trimmed, snow plowed. Most of the time is spent on athletic fields, four football fields, two soccer, baseball and softball diamonds. And I just found out today my football field that we have games on was voted best natural turf field in our conference for third straight year. This is a picture I took a couple weeks ago before one of our playoff games.

IMG_20201031_133046290.jpg

• Like 11

I provide admin support for rocket scientists* at Kennedy Space Center!

* Actually I'm supporting the team who are designing the new mobile launcher, so they're ground engineers and not rocket scientists...it just sounds cooler that way. 🤣

Edited by clovenpine
Deleting multiple posting; my app went wonky
  • Haha 3

I've been a government intelligence analyst for the past 11 years. I mostly find issues and solve them before they become bigger issues, improve skills, develop and present training, build relationships, and write reports. Prior to this path, I was an airborne qualified intelligence collector and infantryman with the Army (December 2001 through 2008). I got broken in Iraq, was medevac'd home, had a surgery, and medically separated. Currently finishing up a BS Sports Management degree on the side for fun and possibly for future use. The fish family is an important part of my relaxation and development as a person. They definitely get their fair share of the funds for all the enjoyment they bring to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Dawn Dare

For the last 40 years I have been a National Certified Interpreter for the Deaf. Hence my logo means interpret in American Sign Language.

I have kept aquariums most of my life. I did take a 19 year break. When my ex husband declared that the 6 foot tank was his! Ha! I made sure I had re homed most of my fishies before I drove off into the sunset..... Taking the Python with me! He didn’t know the difference between an air stone and a rock.... I wonder how long it took him to bail that tank.  LOL

Cory and Aquarium Co-Op have been such an inspiration to me. I love playing with my 3 tanks.  Having a blast raising Corydoras and Mystery Snails. I love all of the Ziss breeding equipment.

Ahhhh! I knew it! I almost asked if you were deaf, but didn't want to be perceived as insensitive. But I recognized the profile pic as "interpret". I know a tiiiiiiny bit from church. I tease & say I know all the church words & can interpret a sermon... but can't carry on a decent conversation in ASL. 🙄😒 I know that's insulting, though, to many. So I keep my little bit of knowledge quiet & appreciate SO much those who have mastered the skill!

So glad you're back to fish keeping.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moeno said:

I am a PhD student in a pain research lab! Our goal is to understand how pain can become a chronic disease, find new targets for treating pain, and develop new therapeutics.

Important work indeed, I wish you much success. 

• Like 1

Retired from the USAF in 1998

Currently working for my last employer, will retire in just over a year.

Technical Systems, Inc.

Primarily we work in water/wastewater treatment.  We also like fish hatchery work!  We have also done work for Boeing, Intel, some food processing & transportation stuff (I-90 Tunnels here in WA to name one).  A couple years ago we bid on a logging project in Russia.  We did treatment plant work in Guam.  

I started out in this field as a project engineer/project manager, have done PLC/OIT/SCADA programming, and plant startup/commissioning.  I am finishing out my time as a low bid project estimator.

This is one of our fish related projects (Floating Surface Collector).  We did the instrumentation and controls.

Floating Surface Collector

Baker_Stitch_7_1aS.jpg.12b545c09d3379ca8dbc0e00cb184663.jpg

BTW, we are always looking for talented people.

Panel Fabricators

Project Engineers

PLC/HMI/SCADA Programmers

Field Techs

Our corporate office is in Lynnwood WA, satellite offices in Dixon & Irvine CA

• Like 6

On 11/11/2020 at 5:15 PM, Moeno said:

I am a PhD student in a pain research lab! Our goal is to understand how pain can become a chronic disease, find new targets for treating pain, and develop new therapeutics.

As somebody who has lived with RA for the last 15 years, I'd hug you, if I could. I have a lot of days when the pain is so extreme I just want it all to end.

• Like 2

I am nerdy nerdy. I develop the codes that make things do things and sometimes I get it right. My focus is custom test automation frameworks for Webservice testing. 

Also, currently pursuing dream job of a bass fisherman. I fish the BASS Nation series and have made it to the Regional Championship once thus far. Well on the way. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Brandon1433 said:

Also, currently pursuing dream job of a bass fisherman. I fish the BASS Nation series and have made it to the Regional Championship once thus far. Well on the way. 

Keeping fish for fun, catching fish for money! Total fish vertical integration.🙂

• Haha 3

That sounds so similar to a professor that I had! Before he started teaching, he worked in aquaculture (primarily salmon in Alaska).  He was also an incredibly passionate hobbyist and is the reason why I was able to keep fish in something larger than 20 gallons as a teenager!

• Like 3

I'm doing my undergrad majoring in marine biology. I'm still at the point where everything I learn about fascinates me. I currently want to study coral reef ecology, but the professor I am eyeing for graduate school studies the development of lateral lines in haplochromine cichlids. I also coach fencing part time at my local club, which funds my hobby very well. 

• Like 5

On 11/17/2020 at 11:26 AM, teenage fish said:

I work at Menards 😐

Ouch! I used to work for a company who bowed down to supplied Menard's. This article hits home for so many reasons:

johnmenardillustration_archive_052007.jp
WWW.MILWAUKEEMAG.COM

How home improvement store founder John Menard became the richest man in Wisconsin – and what he sacrificed to do it.

#menardstrippin

• Like 1