Using ich x with general cure? Also my GBRs are acting very sick

kyle223

So about 6 days ago I noticed white spots on my 6 rummy nose tetras. The next day I starting treating with ich x and have been following directions and been doing 30% water changes every day and re dosing the entire tank. Its been 5 days since I started treating the tank and my tetras still have white spots. The weird thing is that I also have 6 pearl danios, 2 GBRs, about 12 guppies, and 5 otos. Since the ich first appeared on the tetras, I have not seen a single white spot on any of my other fish, its only on the tetras, and they're still there.

My second issue (which is why I'm curious about using ich x with general cure) is that about 4 days ago, both my GBRs have constantly been hiding and breathing very rapidly. I hardly ever can find them because I have a very densely planted tank and when I can find them they look pale and are often resting on the bottom, or pressing against an object in the tank. They have not been eating. I suspect gill flukes but I have not been able to pinpoint anything yet. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience or knowledge on using ich x with general cure. I'm hesitant to do so because ich x advises against doing so. 

(Water parameters are good. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and nitrates are rarely over 20ppm. Nitrates lately are around 5-10 ppm from doing water changes every day. pH is 6.5-7)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My GBRs are running out of time.

You can use ick X with general cure it's part of the co-op's quarantine trio as your doing daily water changes with the ick x it would be difficult to keep a therapeutic level of general cure in the tank unless you dose the appropriate amount to account for water changes @kyle223

On 5/24/2023 at 2:26 PM, kyle223 said:

My second issue (which is why I'm curious about using ich x with general cure) is that about 4 days ago, both my GBRs have constantly been hiding and breathing very rapidly. I hardly ever can find them because I have a very densely planted tank and when I can find them they look pale and are often resting on the bottom, or pressing against an object in the tank.

Whenever you add meds be sure to add an airstone!  If you have cooler species, they might even prefer having 2 added based on the size of the tank.

Regarding treatment, here is one of my favorites to share with regards to treating ich.  I always use Salt.

The weird thing is that I also have 6 pearl danios, 2 GBRs, about 12 guppies, and 5 otos.

What is the temperature of the tank?  The rams likely want to be warmer than the other species in your tank.

both my GBRs have constantly been hiding and breathing very rapidly. I hardly ever can find them because I have a very

Very peculiar.  What you're seeing is signs of stress it sounds like.  If the temp is too cold I would expect slow breathing.  Have you ever seen them eat or do they eat regularly?