Heavy feeding for grooming goldfish

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried an intense feeding regime for growing goldfish? Maybe feeding food that fish can finish in <10mins * 5 times a day, every 2.5hrs during day time.

1. any warning signs that i shld look out for?

2. any warning that i have gone too far. 

This is a weird method and I can imagine that it won't sit well with most, but very keen to hear from people who have tried or heard of others who have tried

thanks!

Bfk

On 5/24/2023 at 4:09 AM, Bishan fish keeper said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried an intense feeding regime for growing goldfish? Maybe feeding food that fish can finish in <10mins * 5 times a day, every 2.5hrs during day time.

1. any warning signs that i shld look out for?

2. any warning that i have gone too far. 

This is a weird method and I can imagine that it won't sit well with most, but very keen to hear from people who have tried or heard of others who have tried

thanks!

Bfk

@Hannah Parker @Stef @thegoldiehook 

@Ken Burke not sure if you have goldfish in your pond?

I’m trying to think of more goldfish owners here on the forum that might be able to help.

Oh I think @Colu has a goldfish. A really big one like a decade old or something.

@Cory has goldfish also, but I think he’s in Hong Kong right now and may not be able to respond.

On 5/27/2023 at 2:17 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Hannah Parker @Stef @thegoldiehook 

@Ken Burke not sure if you have goldfish in your pond?

I’m trying to think of more goldfish owners here on the forum that might be able to help.

Oh I think @Colu has a goldfish. A really big one like a decade old or something.

@Cory has goldfish also, but I think he’s in Hong Kong right now and may not be able to respond.

I do have an old comet goldfish it's 14 years old I have never tried power feeding to increase growth with my goldfish I just feed a balanced diet  duckweed repashy super gold bug bites goldfish pellets hikari saki gold  occasionally frozen blood worms 

• Like 1

I do!  Year round, too.  They spawn in the spring, and I managed to get a few babies to adulthood last year. But I don’t do anything special for them.  

I feed my angels and plecos heavily, though.  Big thing is maintenance. Lots of food + lots of growth+ lots of fishIMG_0752.jpeg.9b447e3bda9ad727b0914e966e947b91.jpeg = lots of waste. My filter (poly fill in that tank) needs just about daily.   Test your water regularly, keep up on the water changes, should be fine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I am fairly new to keeping goldfish but have been watching a lot of videos from Luke’s Goldies channel. He keeps/breeds Ranchus and feeds heavily for growth. As others have mentioned, water quality is a must. 

thank you everyone!
very helpful and encouraging. 

The below is a downer, so pls dont carry on reading if its not a good day for u.

I dont talk much about the hobby and dont really know alot of hobbist and hope i can just dump this here:

I messed up my dechlorinator and killed my 3 adult ranchus. They had just spawned before my blunder. So i had about 30 fry in a separate tank. Out of these 30, i manage to kill 28 of them... and now i am only left with 2. I didnt know enough about ranchu fry and I think I still dont.

Feel pretty disappointed at myself for killing all these fishes but very grateful to have this opportunity to try to brings these 2 fry up and have some sort of connection to my older ranchus. I want to say i have learnt a lot but I am not sure if i actually did. I went thru years of not having fish die and suddenly it seems like all the fishes are dying. I know everyday is a learning experience and life, and fishkeeping, is like a dojo, always teaching and always providing opportunities for us to be better. 

I wish I tried harder before, and I wish knew more before, and I wish I could go back to do it right. But thats not allowed. However, I do have today and tomorrow! 🙂

thx guys for reading!

fish.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have done heavy feeds to groom. I feed cichlid exel and Hikari goldfish food and alternate between the two 4 times a day. I only do that until I get the growth I want then I back them off to two times a day. 

Also, don't be too hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. I too have unintentionally killed all my ranchu (8 total) within a week. It's definitely a set back but I think we become better from it. 

Edited by thegoldiehook