HOB On Timer?

JaredL

Has anyone run a HOB on a timer so it only runs during the day? I'm looking to add current and mechanical filtration to my tank, but want calm water at night.

Tank is 29gal, seasoned, sponge filter running all the time.

I have one of those Aqueon HOB that self prime, so that shouldn't be an issue. Looking to use it as extra mechanical filtration, so I'm not concerned about maintaining beneficial bacteria in the filter(although I'm also curious if it could survive). Just curious if there is any negative impact from this I haven't thought of.

Please share any experience or insights. Thanks!

If you are just looking to add quiet flow and mechanical filtration I would /have used a powerhead with a sponge prefilter. 
The coop ones are fabulous for this. 
That could go on a timer easily. 
I would be concerned about the detritus buildup in the hob with no flow both killing the bacteria and creating ammonia and dumping yuck into the tank when it kicks on. Mine throw gunk in the water after a power outage and they kick back on. 

• Like 3

Those Aqueons with the impeller in the tank would work well for this.  I have never had one not restart.  You might kill it faster with more off/on cycles but who knows.  Test it and let us know how it works out.

In my experience, HOB's don't restart mostly if the water level is lower than the water level of the part where the filter sucks the water in, so when the power goes out, the water level inside the hob drops until the water level of the fish tank.

The problem is, from what I see most US peeps use rimmed tanks, and when hobs are placed at those rimmed tanks, they are almost always higher than the water line. So when power goes out, they struggle restarting.

My HOBs, and I use 3 Aquaclears which people say it does not restart, always restarts themselves, because my HOBS are leveled to water line and I keep glass to glass tanks/rimless. So there is always a good amount of water inside the hob even power is off, so it restarts.

MY hob on my old rimmed tank, did not restart too.

On 5/24/2023 at 4:02 AM, Guppysnail said:

If you are just looking to add quiet flow and mechanical filtration I would /have used a powerhead with a sponge prefilter. 
The coop ones are fabulous for this. 
That could go on a timer easily. 
I would be concerned about the detritus buildup in the hob with no flow both killing the bacteria and creating ammonia and dumping yuck into the tank when it kicks on. Mine throw gunk in the water after a power outage and they kick back on. 

Also +1 to this.  

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

I have powerheads on a timer in my tanks. I'd not do it with my hobs for reasons others have stated. One consideration, if your tank is planted would be to run at night instead of the day. Planted tanks need more surface agitation at night for oxygen.