Rope fish community fish

I’ll be setting up a 90g soon and I’m debating ropefish. I’ve heard they are not aggressive but are predatory. I want to do more of a community tank than semi-aggressive. What is the smallest fish people have had luck keeping them with? I’d like to do Rams, probably Bolivians, I don’t think the rope fish would eat those but the rams may bully them. Other ideas I’m worried may be to small are honey gourami, Colombian Tetra, and some type of Cory.

Edited by BlueLineAquaticsSC

Sydontis species are sometimes recommended. Ropefish will need live foods. Maybe you can get them to live on meaty frozen foods, but beware of tank mates gobbling up food at feeding time. Larger relatively peaceful cichlids can work -- e.g. Angelfish or Severums. Small, vigorous species should be avoided.

Colombian tetras are a nice size and wouldn’t be a problem. I agree with @Fish Folkthat the dwarf cichlids may just be a little too small and I’d think Festivums and the Angels would be good choices, they are territorial but not truly aggressive unless breeding, 4 foot tank 90 g I’d think you’d be able to have a group of 5 of each. . Cory’s I’d go with Barbatus or Emerald Corys (Brochis) they’re chunky and could hold their own without too Much actual aggression. Paradise gouramis are beautiful and would not be an issue I think. I’d avoid Opaline or 3 spots just too aggressive. You could get a nice chunky pleco like a green or blue phantom they won’t mess with armored cats. 

• Like 1

I am getting ready to put rope fish into one of my community tanks. I have angels, rummy nose tetras, fat corys, keyholes, and 2 3-spot gouramis (who are very not aggressive!). I have another community tank with Bolivian rams, an angel, rummy nose, corys, and apistos, and truthfully the most "aggressive" of the fish in these tanks are the rummy nose, which isn't saying much. As long as you have good "hides" in the tank for the ropeys, I think you'll be OK. Just remember the seal up any and all holes in the top of the tank or they will escape. My ropes are in the 10 gallon QT tank right now and I've used craft netting (firm plastic stuff from JoAnn Fabrics) to close up areas around air lines, cords, and the filter -- the first few days before I got that stuff it was terrifying watching them swim around and check out the top of the tank! I have that weighted down with a glass lid and the regular lighted lid over the top to make sure they can't dislodge the mesh stuff.