Unexpected coitus happening in my tank

ccurtis

I have a heavily planted 75 with a lot of fish. Yes it’s overstocked, but I make sure to test the water frequently and keep up on my water changes to keep my parameters within healthy ranges. In the tank I have 7 Bolivian rams, 6 Odessa Barbs, 4 ottocinclus, 4 platys, 2 panda corys, 7 emerald corys, 5 albino corys, 5 zebra danios, a Siamese algae eater, and a very large mixed school of neon and cardinal tetras. There are two nerite snails and an albino bristle-nose pletco as well. It’s a lot, I know, but I love an extremely active tank, and I have no aggression issues. 

Anyhow, today I went to feed and saw that the corys had laid eggs on the glass, they had been eaten off, but you could see where they were. Then as I was looking through the tank, I found a pair of the rams guarding some eggs. I plan to just leave them and let nature take its course and see what happens. I don’t really have much room for more. If they survive, I’ll set up another tank I guess. Interesting to watch a thriving eco system do it’s thing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 5/21/2023 at 12:24 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

The barbs and danios will pick off some but cichlids are pretty resilient and they’ll defend their territory. In a 75 g that’s well planted (where’s the tank pics? Kidding not kidding) they should be ok really. 

Here’s a pic a snapped today during feeding. 

IMG_3384.jpeg

On 5/28/2023 at 8:23 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

How are the eggs doing? 

@ccurtis

So they are all gone now. I haven’t seen any fry with the parents so I think they may have got eaten. Cory’s keep producing eggs on the glass and they get eaten as well. I did see a couple newborn fry in the plants the other day, not sure what they are. They maybe platy fry. But I’m just letting nature do it’s thing and seeing what happens. 

On 5/28/2023 at 3:42 PM, ccurtis said:

So they are all gone now. I haven’t seen any fry with the parents so I think they may have got eaten. Cory’s keep producing eggs on the glass and they get eaten as well. I did see a couple newborn fry in the plants the other day, not sure what they are. They maybe platy fry. But I’m just letting nature do it’s thing and seeing what happens. 

Have you thought about isolating a pair in a QT tank/ plastic tote for a couple of days? I’m using that method with my Salt’n’Pepper corydoras. 

F9457691-F5D7-4394-891A-17B544170746.jpeg

I definitely have thought about it. I don’t have a tank set up to do that right now though. 

I have killifish fry growing up in my grow out tank. In my quarantine tank, I got some plants from a person who gave me some fish and I tossed the extras in that there that I haven’t used yet. I was looking at it yesterday and there is a single tiny fry in there. Must I’m have been an egg  on one of the plants. So now I’m growing that out in there to see what my mystery fish is. 

On 5/28/2023 at 10:05 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

These things are always interesting…everyone has their different hypothesis of what kind of rare or fun fish it could be, and then it turns out to be a guppy 😂

That’s true. I don’t think she had guppies, but it’s definitely possible. For now my daughter and I are calling it our mystery fish. 

On 5/28/2023 at 10:38 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Any pics?? 😁

(Of the fish!) 😆

The thing is super small. I tried to get a pic but they were not good. 

On 5/30/2023 at 2:33 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Out of curiosity, what temp is the tank at?

The main tank is at 75 degrees. The tank with with mystery fish was not being heated. Just was sitting in my garage. When I saw that fry in there I put I heater in it and set the heater to 72. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 3:36 AM, ccurtis said:

The main tank is at 75 degrees. The tank with with mystery fish was not being heated. Just was sitting in my garage. When I saw that fry in there I put I heater in it and set the heater to 72. 

Just a note of caution. I had my rams at the same temp and it froze on me. After 2 days of very low activity he passed. If you see the ram acting really strange and not active I would try to move em to a warmer setup.

Most or all of the other fish won't have any issues.

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2023 at 11:41 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Just a note of caution. I had my rams at the same temp and it froze on me. After 2 days of very low activity he passed. If you see the ram acting really strange and not active I would try to move em to a warmer setup.

Most or all of the other fish won't have any issues.

I appreciate that.  These are Bolivian rams so they can go a little lower than typical rams. I’ve had these guys for 7 months in these temps. They are very active and seem to be happy.  The person who I got them from as babies had them in these temps too. But I do agree I am running them on the lower side.  I’ll keep an eye out for changes.