Aggressive Angelfish

Shadow

I've heard from numerous people that they've never had this issue with Angelfish, but the largest blue male is very aggressive to the rest of the Angelfish and has bullied one of the three black Angels, I assume its the male of the trio, to where he is hiding out and not really coming out of the plants much. 

Now my question is... should I remove the 3 black angels and put them into my 20 gal long with my plants, Barbs, or should I remove the blue bully and move him in there alone? I am thinking the latter. 

For those that don't know, he is one of 8 Angels in a 48 gal tank. I feed them twice daily, sometimes a 3rd time with live food before lights out. I don't think food is the issue or tank size. There are also plenty of places for the meeker ones to hide out, but I am just wondering if I should just bite the bullet as the tanks both run same temp and are completely cycled, so shouldn't stress the bully too bad. Just hate to put him off by himself without a partner.

8 in a 48 is probably too many - also timeout won't do much good. If the fishes are mature - in general i have found is that males will bicker until a solid pecking order is establish and then get along - this period might be a few days or a few months. females are territorial and they won't bicker - they will drive the undesired angel out of  their territory even if that means killing them. The extreme in aggression with females is highly dependent on individual fishes with some not very aggressive and some hyper aggressive. With males as I said they are generally just trying to figure out who is boss of the group.

• Like 1